Brown crap on Koran

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the21kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my Koran (a juvenile) for quite some time, probably a year. I have heard that their color changes begin usually somewhere in the middle of their body. I also don't believe that mine is at the right size for changing. Anyway, the last 2 weeks or so, brown marks have appeared on his face, working their way up and around his eyes. He eats like a champ and I feed him regularly, swictching between Spirulina, regular flakes and some Formula 2 soaked in Zoe and Garlic. His respiration is fine and he acts totally normal. The nitrate levels in the tank can get a little high but this is due to my tap water. I should be receiving my RO/DI this weekend to take care of that issue. The brown marks are not raised and the other fish (Clown, Goby and Royal Gramma) are totally normal as well...no brown marks on them. Any suggestions?

Does it look somewhat pitted? Kinda sounds like HLLE. Is it possible to post a picture?

Hard to tell if it's pitted at all. I can try to get a pic taken tonight and post tomorrow. The only electrical I have is a low wattage light, heater and hang-on filter. I only just removed the grounding probe a week or so ago to be placed in my larger tank where there is all kinds of electrical stuff going on.

Agree sound a lot like HLLE. Do you just feed flake? or is the Formula 2 the frozen cubes? Do you feed him any greens such as nori (seaweed) strips?
Also may want to check your tank for any stray voltage, is it grounded?

Tank is grounded....but will be getting another probe today as prevention. Formula 2 is the cubes and seaweed strips once a week or so.

Sorry to be such a newb...but I got some pics...but don't know how to post them. I don't have a domain that hosts but I think I read somewhere that we can get them on here somehow

May not be the best looking....but hopefully they are clear enough....I can always e-mail them so you can zoom in if that will help.

Thanks for everything....I really appreciate it. Hopefully I caught it soon enough to correct. Fortunately full grown these guys are brown in the face so if any discoloration were to continue I am hoping that it could be masked a little bit by the same color being present. I have been soaking all of my food (Formula 2 and seeweed) in Zoe and Garlic. He and the others don't seem to be taking to it too well but I will keep trying. I know it takes a while to adjust. Awesome articles...I will keep you posted ...thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom