Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Carey

So much for sleep today. phosphates, akalinity and copper were the ones I couldn't remember. What a bout Idodine and the others stronium and stuff? With it being a reef tank should I get those too or do you think those can wait?

While I'm at it I should get my grocery shopping list together for them too. There's alot alot there. So here's a loaded question? How much money do you budget for food every month?

K. Gonna research some test kits, then do my tests and posts. (Think I'm procastinating taking the tests lol)

I don't dose for iodine or strontium so i don't test those. Always remember if you dose something make sure you have a test kit for it.

I tend to buy alot of food since I have so many tanks BUT I have about 14 packages of frozen food on haand, some NLS flake, and some NLS pellets. I feed my big tank frozen concoctions every other day and pellets and flake everyday.

I was looking at that one the other day wishing I had the money for it. LOL

It got 19 5 star reviews so it looks good.

Test Results

Temp: 80.8
Salinity: 1.024
Ammonia: 0
pH: 8.2
NO2: 40
NO3: 0

Looks like next friday or if I have time this weekend I will be adding livestock.

However before I do that, I have my Fluval 405 canister running with the orignial stuff it came with, and I have my Emperor 400, running with filter floss.

Is there anything I need to change or do with these filters prior to adding livestock?

And I used purple up to see if I had dead spots but I wasn't able to see how that would help as I didn't really see anything much and the water didn't cloud up either. Should I do that again?

You need to shake the bottle up really well. I use the cloud to show me where my jets are pushing the water. :-D

You could put the filter media from the hang on into the canister though, just to make sure the bacteria is still hanging in there.

In my canister on my 55g I have biomedia, carbon and filter floss pads. thats it. And mine runs as smooth as I could possibly ask for. never had any nitrates and even now, I gottaa admit this, I haven't cleaned the fluval out in a month and the parameters are great, there is like 5 nitrates. No ammonia or trites of course. i keep testing it and dont wanna clean it out since I have the blue tang in there qt'ing. I figure it's working well so I';ll just leave it til I sell it. Which is gonna have to be somewhat soon. :-(

Hears a bit of a weird thought whit your ni3 test when your reading was 80 the lfs was 10 right. So if that holds true then your new reading of 40 should be 5 by the lfs right. Not the best idea but I think it has merit

Trying to fix pc issues. Apps all crashing. Only able to use I.e. and I wont use that for anything except search. Been down 3 days now. Be back soon I hope. I want to buy a few corals tomorrow can I get more than one at a time? Any recommendations? Please use link in my sig to see what I like so far. I didn't get a chance to name all the pics yet though. Thanks. P.s. using a phone to post stinks.

Id start with the Zoas
img_1515751_0_b4946302d9f4e532e00e9bca9a9ad33d.jpg

Or the Rics
img_1515751_1_09ef4c4b0217fa1f1e864aa32ab31e68.jpg
Both are fairly easy to care for and will make your tank pop (y)(y)

SHOPPING!!! Come on....Let's go...Jump on the Bus!!

Ok, I'm leaving shorting to go up north to Drs. F&S (aka live-aquaria/divers.den).

I'm not buying any fish today. I'm looking at corals to buy.

I'll check post before I leave store this afternoon.

Corals - I don't know how many yet, depends on cost, and well impulse, if it is calling me, I'm taking home (cost dependant) @Grizz I like those thank you (if you're on can you post the names). Hope they have some.

Wishlist (for now lol):
(Get a few today, but list is also so I can have them in one place.)

Help me pick a few to start with (some are REALLY expensive and those are for "the future")

DFS Certified Aussie Acan lord 3 Frag Pack - Aquacultured
Feather Duster (Sabellastarte sp.)
Giant Green Polyp Duncan
Ricordea Mushroom, Blue/Green (Caribbean) (Ricordea florida)
Colony Polyp, Neon Green (Zoanthus sp.)
Red Tip Tree Coral (Stereonephthya sp.)
ORA® Hammer Coral (Euphyllia ancora)
Reef Hab Jupiter Lord (Acanthastrea lordhowensis)
Aussie Speckled Palys SM (Zoanthus gigantus)

Safecracker Colony Polyp Rock Zoanthus IM (Zoanthus sp.)
Starburst Polyps (Briareum sp.)
Aussie Snake Eyes Colony Polyp Rock Gigantus SM (Zoanthus gigantus)
Aussie Doughnut Coral (Scolymia australis)
Aussie Blastomussa Coral (Blastomussa wellsi)
Open Brain Coral Green (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi)
Aussie Duncanopsammia Coral (Duncanopsammia axifuga)

Coral care:

LOTSA HELP Here please!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Coral Dip, what kind?
(I didn't see any in the catalog)

Acclimation (link is cool (even u-tube lol) , so I do as I read/see), I bought the acclimation kit (set of 3) from them already, so anything else needed and then the how (link lol)

Buffers?
(there are too many for me to figure out what to start with, with all the this that and the other thing in them) Do these really maintain pH???? Like lower if needed or raise if needed?? I mean how does one bottle or what ever it is know what my pH is and adjust accordingly? Cause from what I read, that's what it appears to do. Same with alkalinity. Then it adds the this that and the other thing .....so how do I know what is good to add (don't want anything I can't test for) and what is not. I.E. needed/not needed.

Food/Supplements?

Do I need to get the tests for the other stuff too now? Like calcium, phosphate and stuff? Their Catalog has various tests.

CUC?

Shrimp, snails, urchins, crabs??
If so about how many? (No slugs, eweeeeeeeeee)

Crab - I like Emerald and PomPom
Shrimp - Peppermint

Thanks all gotta run, so I can get up there and start drooling.:dance:

as far as coral dip I use coral rx. i wouldnt worry about buffers just yet, wait and see how you water reacts.

Since you'llbe going corals now you'll need the following tests: Alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and phosphates.

Don't worry about food for your corals just yet, it's a personal decision whether to supplement their eating with actual coral food. I don;t and mine are growing very well.

The only corals you HAVE TO feed are non photosynthtic ones like sun polyps.

Hope that helped some

I know right? I've just about killed mine. I feel so bad about it too. I try to feed it all the time but it never opens, sometimes a little bit but nothing like it should.

I don't think I'll be getting another one. :-(

Back
Top Bottom