Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have liked the instant ocean salt also. My only problem with it is the way it clumps up, but that might just be because mine is in a bag that isn't airtight.

The regular instant ocean is really bad about clumping up. I found the reef crystals are better, but you need to keep it sealed as it will turn into a brick in a moist atmosphere.

Well, thats most likely what happened then. It does break apart easily though. I'm going to upgrade soon and get reef salt instead, I just dont want excess nutrients.

So it wouldn't change anything like algae growth or nitrates?

Nope

I have some Instant Ocean Reef Crystals left from a box I ordered and I have an empty bucket too. (an IO one)

I am just finishing up the Red Seal Coral Pro.

As far as clumping, Both of them clump if not tightly sealed, but I notice that RS takes longer to dissolve than IO. And the bucket I had RS in is not sealed very well cause even in closed plastic, it still clumped up.

I think I like them to clump LOL, cause it actually seems as if they dissolve faster, but that's the only reason, I don't want one pwc to have all calcium and the next have none.

Almost positive EG is not gonna make it. When I moved it to QT it actually looked as though it was getting "better" but today when I came home, it's kinda closed up, I mean the tentacles are not out stretched and the left side is pretty much just shell, no coral coming out like it was. The tentacles are not even long enough to extent out of the shell.

Everybody else is ok except for me.....Can we say exchausted.

needmorecowbell said:
So it wouldn't change anything like algae growth or nitrates?

Maybe an increase in coralline algea or halimeda (that stuff blew up in my first tank a few years ago, before I had any clue what I was doing and started dosing calcium without testing). But no you shouldn't see any negative affects.

Okay, thanks. Buffy, I've seen some pretty drastic recoveries in corals. My Xenia dwindled away to nothing and is doing better than ever now. I know that Xenia is a little hardier but you get the idea..

I have liked the instant ocean salt also. My only problem with it is the way it clumps up, but that might just be because mine is in a bag that isn't airtight.

I buy IO by the box. I only open one bag at a time and when I do, I split it into 2 - 1 gallon freezer bags and make sure to zip them up tight. I have had no problems with clumping as long as I make sure to close it up immediately. I think the freezer bags would be a bit more air tight than any bucket.

I do both, put the plastic bags into a plastic bucket (usually save them once they are empty, very handy). That way I never have a problem.

Awesome idea. Thanks. That would also make them smaller and much more easier to handle.

And just so happens I have both the ziplocks and bucket.

Few Pics

The elegance has since been moved and doesn't look anything like this, however he is still alive.

They want $20-30 for coco worm at my LFS, but only $10 for the standard, brown feather duster.

@Dary - That must be an old saying, cause I'm old and I ain't never heard it before.

You have to remember something that Dary said a while back in one of my posts. And I quote "I am so old, I knew the dead sea when it was just sick" end quote......LOL!

Back
Top Bottom