building sump for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedLeggedHermit

Aquarium Advice Freak
here are the plans for my 10 gallon sump. (i use paint for this kinda of planning all the time.) :)

2012-10-11-205524.jpg

Looks great, but I don't think you need that second baffle in the first compartment, where the water is coming in..is it supposed to perform the job of a bubble trap b/c that would be at the end.

yes theres a skimmer. just forgot to draw it. it will be in the main compartment. :p lol first compartment is for the activated carbon and a filter bag i also for got to draw in.

Well how big of a tank is this sump for because a 10 gallon doesn't leave much room for anything other then being dedicated to a sump or a fuge not both. I wouldn't build with anything smaller then a 20 long.

its a DIY skimmer. heres a pic of it when i was putting it in for the first time.

protein skimmer.jpg

heres an updated draft of my plans. ive started building. just waiting for the water to settle after adding the mud. then ill place some live rock and the macro algae i have waiting in the main tank. any thoughts or advice?

2012-10-14-001026.jpg

On the last compartment to the return if your last baffle let's the water exit the top the as you see evaporation it will be apparent in the return chamber as it lowers causing a waterfall effect unless you have an ato system. To solve that without the ato you can make the last baffle exit the bottom instead so adding a third baffle would fix that.

Not sure about using activated carbon ! I don't see the point I've never used it on my 85g reef ! It will just filter out trace elements and all the good stuff !!! Many people have success with it but in my experience there's no point ! And once it's loaded it will need replacing as it will leak stuff back into the water column ! Just my opinion !

Carbon is useful if you have a very high coral load and want to keep some of the chemical warfare at bay. It can also do a nice job in polishing the water for clarity. I always have run it and polysorb in a BSR reactor to try to get that tiny last bit of phosphate out of the water. Using my Hanna meter, I have found any reading over .05 slows the coral growth to a stop.

Gregcoyote said:
Carbon is useful if you have a very high coral load and want to keep some of the chemical warfare at bay. It can also do a nice job in polishing the water for clarity. I always have run it and polysorb in a BSR reactor to try to get that tiny last bit of phosphate out of the water. Using my Hanna meter, I have found any reading over .05 slows the coral growth to a stop.

+1 on carbon for chemical warfare lps tanks i dont use it on my sps tank tho

heres some pics of the sump.

heres the ten gallon (going to add more LR and macro algae)
2012-10-16-170339.jpg

heres the overflow drain.
2012-10-16-170441.jpg

RedLeggedHermit said:
heres some pics of the sump.

heres the ten gallon (going to add more LR and macro algae)

heres the overflow drain.

Jmo id change to chaeto

RedLeggedHermit said:
heres an updated draft of my plans. ive started building. just waiting for the water to settle after adding the mud. then ill place some live rock and the macro algae i have waiting in the main tank. any thoughts or advice?

This how i made my brother sump check it out o hope this is helpful

Back
Top Bottom