Can I stock these fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finnster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I have a 29 gallon Biocube reef setup, and I have a few questing about stocking fish and inverts (can I stock these together). I have done research and I believe I can, but I want second opinions so I don't throw money down the drain. The tank has live rock in it, and I want to get corals.
Currently I have two Banngai Cardinals, a Blue Spotted Watchman Goby, and some Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs. The following fish are ones I want to get.

Fish:
A pair of Ocellaris Clowns.
Maybe a Flame Hawkfish or Royal Gamma Basslet.

Inverts:
Snapping Shrimp for my Goby.
Scarlet Skunk Cleaners and Peppermint Shrimp.
An Arrow Crab?
A Pom Pom Crab?
A BTA, Turbo Snails, and some Stars (Serpents and Sand Sifting stars).

Thanks,
Finnster! :fish2:

The clowns would probably be fine. A flame hawk will eat your shrimp eventually and can get pretty big. I'd just get the 2 clowns and call it stocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The clowns would probably be fine. A flame hawk will eat your shrimp eventually and can get pretty big. I'd just get the 2 clowns and call it stocked.

Okay, thanks! But what about the inverts, any ideas?

Last edited:
Which pistol shrimp were you thinking? There are a few different kinds on offer. I personally went with candy stripe because it's considered the most peaceful.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

the arrow crab will get too big for that size tank and may go after fish.
the pom pom crab, BTA, and starfish should be added after the tank has matured 9-12 months otherwise they often dont do to well and may starve.

The shrimp are fine, just keep the cleaners down to only two in that size tank because the dominant pair will kill the others. they should be fine with the peppermint shrimp though. you could also get a flame shrimp as well with no problem.

and I agree with Bribo, the pair of clowns and it's full, or 5 fish total.

Which pistol shrimp were you thinking? There are a few different kinds on offer. I personally went with candy stripe because it's considered the most peaceful.
Candy Cane :p

the arrow crab will get too big for that size tank and may go after fish.
Okay good to note, can I get a Coral Banded Shrimp instead? I want something that will get rid of MOST (not all) of my Bristleworms, like an Arrow Crab.

Last edited:
The coral banded would kill your other shrimp in that size tank. If you control the food input into your tank you will control the bristle worm population

The coral banded would kill your other shrimp in that size tank. If you control the food input into your tank you will control the bristle worm population

Will do!

Yup, they tend to be rather territorial. I had to get rid of mine after he tore up my mandarin, and I don't recall ever seeing it actually eating any worms, so.....

That is the problem with this hobby, you either have to make hard, agonizing choices or you set-up 27 aquariums.....LOL :D

Fish:
A pair of Ocellaris Clowns. Yes

Flame Hawkfish No will get to big

Royal Gamma Basslet. No needs more room to swim

Inverts:

Snapping Shrimp for my Goby. Yes

Scarlet Skunk Cleaners Yes

Peppermint Shrimp. Yes

An Arrow Crab? No will out grow tank

A Pom Pom Crab? yes

A BTA, would wait till tank is a little more matured

Turbo Snails, Yes