Canister filter on nano cube.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pic up my 28g nano cube tomorrow! I have an extra Rena xP3 lying around. Could I mod the nano to accept the canister filter or is this not worth it. I was thinking (inexperienced) that the current from the Rena output could assist with corals.

No canister filters in a saltwater tank! You need a protien skimmer and power heads. That's it. Preferably a sump but it's not a must.

Alright, well it has the built in wet dry I guess. Can I ask why no canister in saltwater. The box says marine. Just curious.

Alright, well it has the built in wet dry I guess. Can I ask why no canister in saltwater. The box says marine. Just curious.

Saltwater has a lot of organics that rot and when using a canister filter on a saltwater tank you basically make a nitrate factory waiting to explod. The way a saltwater tank and freshwater tank need to be filtered is dramatically different however people often use the same methods of filtration not because they are being foolish in fact it totally makes since. Because a freshwater tank doesn't do very well without mechanical filtration however it's hard for us to get past the fact that all saltwater needs is water changes, top offs, and power heads for water movement. An protien skimmer is a great addition but not mandatory for the size tank you have. I ran a 25g mixed reef without one for a few months but broke down and bought one. Haven't ever been that happy with it however beings its hob and doesnt work as well as my large in sump skimmer.

Ok, thank you, very informative! I guess I will leave the Rena on my 60g. I currently have two xP3s in my 60 fresh tank. Buy what you said makes sense and the last thing I want is a nitrate factory!

There's nothing wrong with using a canister with ur SW aquarium. U can experiment with different media in ur filtration. With routine Maint. they work fine

I gave it a lot of thought and read much advice on this matter when setting up my 30 gal corals tank. Seems people with sumps believe this is the only way to go. Not all but most. In reality the canister is a fine alternative and works great in my tank

Yeah, see, its not that i dont think the nano cube doesnt have enouph filtration. Its just i have always over done my filtration on my FW tanks. Salt water is a new concept for me. But if i was going to add this to my 601-LED cube. I would have to do some cutting it looks like. I only want the best for the corals and future fish! but dont want to "destroy the unit" that is retailing for $650 still. i got it at a steal for 200 w stand, live rock, live sand, and cycled (6 months old). I am picking it up today, i will be adding lace rock (dead) to it in hopes it becomes live rock (sitting on live rock). But thats another thread i started.

I agree, I have used a canister filter for sw and had no issues at all. It's all a balance, not overfeeding or overstocking and doing water changes and cleaning out the filter regularly.

:)

So would you say the filter helps the whole system? I mean it would seem to add 1.5 gallons to the system. But IYO, is it worth cutting the holes in the top to add the filter?

That is something u need to decide. Personally I couldn't bring myself to hack up a new purchase. Use the filtration that's provided and if ur not satisfied, then hack it up. Lol

Lol, i don't want to hack it up yet. Lol, since you put it that way. Haha I'll use what it came with. Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom