Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2005, 12:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cardinals

I have some cardinals in QT and one thing seems to be clear, these are some very bold little fish. Every fish I have quartined up to this point has made full use of the pvc elbow and these little guys just sit at wait at the front of the glass to punk out anyone who comes to watch them. And they are still babies! So is this the general personality of a cardinal or is it because they are tank raised and used to it already? I have to say, these are some cool little fish!

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:26 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I'm not sure, but just wanted to say that I share your fascination with cardinals. I'm looking at getting a few pajama cardinals, maybe...still in the thinking stage.

Good luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A friend of mine has a few of those, i like them too...was a hard choice between the two. I think the coolest part about them is that the father carries the eggs/baby fish in his mouth for safe keeping. What a cool dad! I got 4 babies, so I hope there is atleat one male-female pair. I think they pair for life also.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 01-12-2005, 09:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to penguinsix Send a message via MSN to penguinsix
I need to get some more for my tank in school. Currently there is only one and he is always hiding behind his rock unless it is feeding time. I think I may put him in a brighter coloured tank to make his colours more vibrant. Would it work?

2.5 gallon nano -3lb of LR, 3 LBS of LS and some Caulerpa prolifera and a trumpet coral and some xenia.

29 gallon - getting ready to cycle.
penguinsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmm, I am not sure, but I bet that if you got more then it would not be so shy anymore. Thats what I would do. What size is your tank?

Old 01-13-2005, 12:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have two PJ cardinals and I think they're nocturnal. They used to hid a LOT but have been out and about a little more often since I rearranged the rock. I don't know if they're happier or upset about it, but at least I can see them now.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmm, mine must be used to people then because they were tank raised and in small quarters as babies. Never had cardinals before so I have no idea what they are like personality-wise. But I love these little guys, they aren't afraid of anything. Wonder if that will change when I put them in the main...

Old 01-13-2005, 09:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to penguinsix Send a message via MSN to penguinsix
It is in a 150 gallon with a batfish and naso tang.

2.5 gallon nano -3lb of LR, 3 LBS of LS and some Caulerpa prolifera and a trumpet coral and some xenia.

29 gallon - getting ready to cycle.
penguinsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Get some tank raised ones maybe he will come out more if the others do. The ones I got are pretty bold. I haven't put them in my 150 yet, but I can tell you if they remain bold in the bigger tank.

Tags
cardinals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com