cleaner wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melissfish said:
does a cleaner wrasse help control whitespot
No, in fact their natural diet is isopods, scales and fish slime. There is no evidence these fish are of any benefit with C. irritans at all.

and will this cause him to catch it too?
Most definately.

Cheers
Steve

melissfish said:
this was their suggestion for controlling whitespot without meds or QT
Unfortunately there is no such thing. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I am not 100% sure of that but I do not believe so.

Cheers
Steve

Consider the neon blue gobies. A mated pair or single is interesting and colorful. They won't control whitespot either, but IMO would do fish cleaning chores (dead skin, maybe fungal growth, and stuff) like cleaner wrasses. Seems that the cleaner wrasses are abundant, but I remember Robert Fenner suggesting that hobbyists don't buy'm, to convince those that harvest to keep'm in the ocean where they serve fish in natural reef communities well. Haven't heard that much since the book, so don't know if it's a huge concern. I still like the neon blue gobies better anyway.

Depending on the size of your fish, cleaner shrimp are fun to watch, mine dosnt do much caus ei have small fish, but they are fun towatch clean larger fish

austinsdad said:
Seems that the cleaner wrasses are abundant, but I remember Robert Fenner suggesting that hobbyists don't buy'm, to convince those that harvest to keep'm in the ocean where they serve fish in natural reef communities well. Haven't heard that much since the book, so don't know if it's a huge concern.
The main concern is the wrasses ability to adapt to captive care. While some do take to aquarium foods, most do not and typically die within months of collection.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom