Clown Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Ziggy, I was just wondering if your were thinking about using your son's nano as a fry tank? And also, theres a good book called "Clownfishes" by Joyce D. Wilkerson. If you could get your hands on, this book is amazing. Its what got me started in this hobby. It has all the info you need on how to breed clownfish, take care of the fry and everything about clownfishes in general. Good Luck!!!

No I'm not going to use the nano as a fry tank. I considered it but It has LR and sand in it and that would be a major issue when dealing with lots of tiny fish.

I'll be setting up a few 10s and a couple of other tanks. I'll probably convert my 55g FW to SW and section it off for grow out. I have a few ideas on what I would like to do.

I can put you in touch with a guy in our reef club who breeds percs. He's been breeding them for quite a while and always has babies at the frag swaps.

Absolutely! I would love to talk to someone that has been doing it for a while! Thanks!

Generally speaking , how long would two percs need to be together before they started spawning ? I have two percs that have been together for 18 months and I have never noticed anything like your getting the pleasure of witnessing ! Good Luck

Well they have to actually pair up first. After the fish are 18months - 2 years old they are at breeding age. It can take a long time for them to pair up or it can happen quickly. The pair I have that are spawning have been together for a couple of years. I've only had them for 5 months or so.

thats truely amazing it looks like your going to have your hands full with all the fry from the next batch. Best of luck

I expect a nest any day now. I'm not 100% sure what schedule my clowns are on. The eggs hatched out on Wednesday, so I figure they should lay again by this coming Wednesday. That would be a 14 day cycle. I will let this next batch go as well. I don't have anything setup yet.

Well the clowns laid another huge nest today. The time frame seems a little tight considering the previous eggs just hatched this past Wednesday.

I got to watch some of the action. I missed the actual laying of the eggs but I got to see the male fertilize the nest. Pretty cool. I snapped one pic, I didn't want to mess with them too much while they were working.

I'm still waiting on the book to get here. I have no plans of doing anything until I have read the book and set up my breeding station. I've decided that the FW 55 is going to be divided into 3 smaller tanks for growout. I have another sump that I will put under this system along with skimmer and LR. I haven't gotten to the point of setting things up yet but I have plans.

More to come...

The nest that was laid on 12/12 should be hatching tonight. I watched for about 2 hours off and on last night thinking they may hatch. Today I can see a major change in the way the eggs look. If they don't hatch tonight I will be very surprised.

Larry, I sent an email to your friend, thanks again for getting in touch with him. I hope he has some insight and ideas I can use.

I ordered Wilkerson's book it should be here Monday. I've also picked up a sponge filter for the fry tank. I'll put that in the sump in a day or to and let it get loaded up with bacteria. My inlaws are excited about me breeding clowns and trying to raise them. They keep asking me what it will take to raise the fry, I have a feeling they are looking for Christmas ideas.

I'll try and get some video of the hatching tonight and post it. I don't know how well the "night vision" on my video cam will work but we will see.

So did they hatch? I've been watching this thread. I would be thrilled if you caught some of it on video. Would be my only chance to see something like that.

The eggs hatched Saturday night. I checked them off and on through the night. They must have hatched right before sunrise because I never saw anything happen. When I got up they were all hatched out so I didn't get any pics of any fish.

My book should be here any day now. I should be set up for the next nest but I'm not 100% sure yet. If not the next then the one after that for sure.

The eggs hatched Saturday night. I checked them off and on through the night. They must have hatched right before sunrise because I never saw anything happen. When I got up they were all hatched out so I didn't get any pics of any fish.

My book should be here any day now. I should be set up for the next nest but I'm not 100% sure yet. If not the next then the one after that for sure.

What book did you order? I want to buy it just in case I ever start breeding my Clowns. That way I'll be ready....

The clowns are "cleaning" the tile that I have next to the frogspawn they are hosting in. This is a very good sign. The female is super fat and looks like she will lay in the next day or two. I really hope the take to the tile as it will help in removing the nest. Time will tell.

Wow Ziggy, you got me attached to this post completely, I'll keep looking for your posting after she hatches :), hopefully you got to see it this time :)

Back
Top Bottom