Clownfish eggs!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azn_gq

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I had my clown for over a year now... And for the very first time they laid eggs!!! Has anybody experienced this or had any luck raising the fry?

Attachments

• image-3037085192.jpg
    image-3037085192.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 376
Yes, many folks experience the FREE FISH FOOD when the clowns lay eggs. Raising the fry can be done in another tank. It takes time and patience. There are books and articles on how to do that.

Mine started after being together for 4 years. Expect to see that orange mass about every 2 weeks.

Sorry, I can't add anything, just wanted to tag on. I got a pair of Sebae Clownfish a couple weeks ago. I wonder if mine will eventually lay eggs. My LFS had lots of baby clowns when I went there on Friday. So cool to see that many tiny clownfish.

So am I hooped when I comes to the chances of survival of the little ones if I don't move them to a breeder tank when they hatch?? :(

dont worry about trying to raise the first 3 or 4 clutches,by the time you have everything setup the 5th or 6th clutch should be good ones.
Are they laying on LR or anything that can be removed?
you'll need a couple of old salt buckets
a couple of heaters
an air pump
a few air stones
read into to starting a rotifer culture and baby brineshrimp culture.
Clownfish will lay every 10-14 days,eggs will hatch on day 8
normally the male will eat alot of the first few clutches until about clutch 4
this is when you will need to be ready
If the eggs can be removed,remove them on day 8 without taking them out of water,place into one of the buckets filled with tank water,the fry wont need to be fed until the following day.have a heater set to the same as your dt,you need a light on over the tank 24/7 for the first week.then star feeding with rotifers following their directions.
on day 6 start feeding with rots and bbs,then on day 10 bbs and a good flake food,by this stage they will have gone through meta,once past this point they should all survive.
dont do water changes for the first 2 days and then only 10%.
A salt bucket is fine for the first 10 days.
If you cant remove the eggs then on night 8 turn off all the pumps after lights out,after about 45-90 mins the fry should hatch,shine a torch over the tank and syphon as many of the fry into a salt bucket(with tank water in it).
There are other ways to remove the eggs with a straw and some hose,for this pm me and I'll explain

Hope this helps.

David

Mine became a mated pair after a year and a half or so and started spawning soon after. I've recently moved my tank so the spawning has stopped for now until they find a suitable spot. Raising the fry can be difficult and an extensive process. Some do it, I don't. Like cmor said, free fish food is nice.

Very intersting. I have two clowns as well. And they seem to argue like a married couple. Haha. Good luck. Keep us posted.

If you decide to try and raise them take pictures along the way and post them. I would be interested to see this process.

So I'm down to about 14 eggs from the original 40ish.. :( good news is you can really see them developing! See the orange hue and also two black dots where the eyes are! :)

I have hatched and raised fry before. Dont remove the eggs from the tank. Let them hatch in the tank and then take the fry out. U have to keep an eye on how many days after the lay the eggs do they hatch. I always leave the eggs in the tank so that the clownfish can take care of them.

So I'm down to about 14 eggs from the original 40ish.. :( good news is you can really see them developing! See the orange hue and also two black dots where the eyes are! :)

That'll be the male,he will eat any which may be bad and also will eat others until he realises not to,around clutch4

I'm sure they hatched. But unfortunately I think they got eaten.. :(

On day 8 turn off your powerheads and any other pumps,kep the tank in total darkness,not even the tv on,shine a torch over the tank about 45-60 mins after lights out and you should see the fry,then syphon them out with some air hose.

So it looks as though they are on batch number 2!! Pretty close to hatching!

Back
Top Bottom