Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-10-2015, 12:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
CO2 chart

I am going to be adding a fairly tightly fitting glass lid onto my pico tank here as soon as the clips come in and I was trying to figure out a way to determine the level of CO2 in the water. The first thing that came to mind was a co2 chart that planted tank keepers use to judge their addition of c02 but it bases everything off of just kH and pH. I wasn't sure if it would apply to salt water as well because I'm not sure what other pH buffers there are in salt other than just the kH. So do you guys think this would carry over to salt was well?


__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:24 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 13,528
Hi, did you come up with anything? I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head but SW isn't my field.
__________________

__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I am going to be adding a fairly tightly fitting glass lid onto my pico tank here as soon as the clips come in and I was trying to figure out a way to determine the level of CO2 in the water. The first thing that came to mind was a co2 chart that planted tank keepers use to judge their addition of c02 but it bases everything off of just kH and pH. I wasn't sure if it would apply to salt water as well because I'm not sure what other pH buffers there are in salt other than just the kH. So do you guys think this would carry over to salt was well?






I'm not sure how accurate this chart is tbh. I suppose it better than nothing and can only be classed as an estimate or indicator.

From wiki

"In a solution where only CO2 affects the pH, carbonate hardness can be used to calculate the concentration of dissolved CO2 in the solution with the formula CO2 = 3 * KH * 10(7-pH), where KH is degrees of carbonate hardness and CO2 is given in ppm"

Who knows what is affecting ph in our aquariums with the amount of stuff we add/do.

Even then you have to rely on the accuracy of the kh tester.

Perhaps something like this would be better but I bet it costs a bomb

http://www.hach.com/carbon-dioxide-t...?id=7640218474


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Caliban07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,313
I think it can be used for saltwater too. There is an option to chat to a representative during open hours.

I'll bet they would be willing to answer some questions. Might be a refreshing change for them not having to answer a question for an industrial point of view.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Caliban07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
I haven't found anything on it sadly. I do have a nice kh test kit though, I use red sea for the important tests.

Wish I had disposable income for something like that test kit.

I was also thinking, maybe I could use a drop checker. It shouldnt be affected at all by any buffering of the salt water.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 13,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
I think it can be used for saltwater too. There is an option to chat to a representative during open hours.

I'll bet they would be willing to answer some questions. Might be a refreshing change for them not having to answer a question for an industrial point of view.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How much was it?
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
How much was it?

You have to contact them for a price


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Caliban07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I haven't found anything on it sadly. I do have a nice kh test kit though, I use red sea for the important tests.

Wish I had disposable income for something like that test kit.

I was also thinking, maybe I could use a drop checker. It shouldnt be affected at all by any buffering of the salt water.

I don't think alkalinity is the thing that distorts the accuracy of the calculation.

I'm only guessing at this point but the equations takes kh in to consideration regardless of what the level is. As the only other thing required to calculate co2 is ph I think it is the other acids/bases in the water that effect ph that makes it difficult to calculate. In order to get a true representation if co2, you would have to be certain that co2 was the only determining factor of ph.

So it would seem that this chart is accurate because it is assuming that the specified ph level is co2 dependent which makes the calculation relevant however that is simply not true in our tanks because of the unknown variables that may be contributing to the ph level.

My understanding could be wrong though.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Caliban07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
I don't think alkalinity is the thing that distorts the accuracy of the calculation.

I'm only guessing at this point but the equations takes kh in to consideration regardless of what the level is. As the only other thing required to calculate co2 is ph I think it is the other acids/bases in the water that effect ph that makes it difficult to calculate. In order to get a true representation if co2, you would have to be certain that co2 was the only determining factor of ph.

So it would seem that this chart is accurate because it is assuming that the specified ph level is co2 dependent which makes the calculation relevant however that is simply not true in our tanks because of the unknown variables that may be contributing to the ph level.

My understanding could be wrong though.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Good summarization and you hit the nail on the head

My main curiosity behind this chart is whether or not there are other factors influencing the pH in the tank. I don't believe there is, but water chemistry still isn't one of my strong points.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Good summarization and you hit the nail on the head



My main curiosity behind this chart is whether or not there are other factors influencing the pH in the tank. I don't believe there is, but water chemistry still isn't one of my strong points.

It's difficult to say. I suppose ph fluctuations would be common if the things we added/removed from the water column mattered.

I would go with the chart as I believe it's the best thing we got to go with at the moment


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Caliban07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
co2

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CO2: KH/PH Chart Delapool Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 12-10-2013 10:56 PM
KH-PH Co2 chart, plus Bubbles per minute sudz Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 9 11-28-2012 04:47 PM
CO2 chart (KH to pH relationship) Angry the Clown Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 3 01-20-2007 11:22 AM
CO2 Yeast - Chart CaptnIgnit Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 7 08-16-2006 03:51 PM
does this chart look right too you? e-cat Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 11-28-2003 04:41 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.