Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Considering having a 240g built for 2 sided viewing....

While I love my 65g, I just may be outgrowing it. We have everything living in it including toadstool, corals, etc. but only have a few fish. I am looking into having a 240g aquarium designed for an in-wall installation for viewing on bith sides. I am looking for thoughts and suggestions of things I need to consider that I may be missing. We are going to have the floor supported (its above a basement). For anyone who has done this, I'd appreciate any pointers. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

One of the biggest challenges with large double-sidded tanks is filtration and water circulation. Having a long tank that is viewed from both sides does limit your filtering and circulation options. For example, all overflows will need to be placed at the end of the tank with the plumbing either running in the stand under the tank or into a seperate sump/filtration room through a wall. Providing enough flow to the far end of the tank will be the challenge. It can be done...just really depends on the space you have to work with.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If you are going to have it custom built my suggestion is to have overflows on both ends of the tank. This way you can have returns on both ends.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Don't forget to consider insulation and proper ventilation. You don't want your house rotting around your tank
Old 11-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I'd try to ensure room for the other tank and equipment underneath. Maybe 75g or so sump/refugium w/lighting, skimmer, fw reservoir or feed from tap/RO/Di, etc, etc.

Outgrowing a tank???? Hmmmm, wonder if that happens much????

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
If you are going to have it custom built my suggestion is to have overflows on both ends of the tank. This way you can have returns on both ends.
Thanks Ziggy. I met with the tank designer yesterday and that's exactly what we are going to do!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
Don't forget to consider insulation and proper ventilation. You don't want your house rotting around your tank
Its pretty much going to be in the middle of the house so for ventilation purposes that should not be an issue. I'm not sure what you mean by insulation though. Where would insulation be needed?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
I'd try to ensure room for the other tank and equipment underneath. Maybe 75g or so sump/refugium w/lighting, skimmer, fw reservoir or feed from tap/RO/Di, etc, etc.

Outgrowing a tank???? Hmmmm, wonder if that happens much????
They are going to design the base so that there will be room for everything underneath including a large sump and an auto top-off system with a 5 gal jug.

We had heat problems with our current tank, so I wanted to make sure we didn't have that problem again and we talked about installing a chiller in the basement, but I really didn't want to do that unless it was absolutely necessary. So, he told me about using LED lighting. Much more expensive, but no heat. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with LED lighting?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefilte View Post
Its pretty much going to be in the middle of the house so for ventilation purposes that should not be an issue. I'm not sure what you mean by insulation though. Where would insulation be needed?
I can't speak to the insulation (not sure about that myself Innovator will have to elaborate there) but for ventilation you may want to consider putting a bathroom style vent over the tank to pull heat and moisture out of the space the tank is in. I believe I would do something like this in the hood.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

She's ordered and paid for. I went for the LED lights too. Its going to take about 6 weeks to get the tank. We're going to tear into the ceiling below in a couple of weeks to see if we need to add a beam. Then we'll start the cutting of the wall. But for now we wait.......

Tags
40 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com