Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well if this is a desktop aquarium then Sumps are out the window but they are just seperate tanks usually underneath the display tank made to filter the water through different sections and a skimmer is used to pull waste out of the water before starting the nitrification process resulting in lower nitrates over time which is a plus since the thresholds are lower in SW. Skimmers aren't normally used on tanks that size though especially a fowlr

Old 07-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you want just a simple setup you can get some live sand, some live rock, defiantly a hang on back skimmer like the reef octopus bh-100. ( not attractive but u can hide it with live rock. It's about 200 bucks) regular fluorescent lights for fish only. Get a powerhead for water movement. A heater, some distilled water with salt mix. Use instant ocean and get a hydrometer to measure salinity. If you only want fish then that's all you have to worry about is salinity since the salt mix has calcium etc. I use distilled since it has no extra calcium etc. I also use for water changes a dechlorinator that ages water. Do atleast 10% water changes every week so you don't get green hair algae which can take over your tank quick. Watch out for the cycle process which ammonia gets very high and is lethal. I'd go with somthing very hardy. Alot of people use damsels but I used a yellow tail damsel which is the least aggressive. You might spend 500 tops.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you want to skip the skimmer use a regular filter like you would use for a freshwater tank but put carbon in it. But a skimmer is awesome to have. Especially if you wanna expand eventually. There's very small skimmers you can use for nano tanks but I've never used them.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

for what youre describing id get a 14 gallon biocube. its all in one with the filter and everything. they look great with the black back and they are easy to maintain. you just add sand and rock and away you go. the lights are good enough for soft coral so you can get some nice mushrooms or zooas when the tank is cycled. i dont think there is a sw biocube out there without a clown or two in it. i had a clown and a damsel and both did fine.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah biocube is a good way to start but get some sand LR and salt mix with a hydrometer and I'll be set. I customize my own tanks so I buy separate but biocube is very good plug n play! Check out my photos I have a FOWLR pic of an old tank to give you an idea. Will put new ones of my 30gal setup tomarrow sometime.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

A skimmer is not required in anything below a 30g if you plan on 20% weekly water changes and a lite feeding schedule. I feed my clowns every 3 days. Easy peasy lemon squeeze!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

The BioCube is exactly what I was looking for! Petco appears to have everything I need. (I provided a link) There's even a stand. It's perfect!
Fish BioCube from PETCO.com
Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use a skimmer on my 30gal reef to be safe. It probably isn't necessary for a FOWLR but insurance is always nice. And I only do 10% water changes every week and my trates are 0.25ppm. anyways good luck and post some pics once u get everything setup. Also i think bio cubes are acrylic? If they are don't clean them with cleaner like windex etc. It will craze the tank. Use just freshwater or buff it out if it gets dirty.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

check out youtube for biocube videos to give you ideas on set ups that look nice, there are hundreds on there...
Old 07-11-2012, 02:50 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrazyroyboy
I use a skimmer on my 30gal reef to be safe. It probably isn't necessary for a FOWLR but insurance is always nice. And I only do 10% water changes every week and my trates are 0.25ppm. anyways good luck and post some pics once u get everything setup. Also i think bio cubes are acrylic? If they are don't clean them with cleaner like windex etc. It will craze the tank. Use just freshwater or buff it out if it gets dirty.
They are glass. Looks like acrylic tho.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com