Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

'Coralife Scientific Grade aquarium Salt' ??

I found a bag of this ... is it okay to use, it says it has no phosphate or nitrate?

Old 03-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No phosphates and nitrates is a good thing. The brand of salt you use is really up to personal preference.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

As Andy said, salt choice is a personally preference. I used to use Instant Ocean for the longest time and then switched over to Oceanic and never looked back. Great salt!

I've never heard of a "scientific grade" aquarium salt. But Coralife is a reputable manufacturer so I am sure there is nothing wrong with using it.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

exactly what I thought, just wondering if anyone has used it because I've only used 'red sea' salt, and using it saves me buying new salt, thanks for replying.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is it 'aquarium salt' or 'marine salt'? Big difference between the 2. Since this is posted in the saltwater section I'm assuming you are using it for a saltwater tank in which case I would not use it.
penpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I already put it in and you shocked me there ... so I just checked it and it is marine salt
Old 03-05-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
I never understood the difference between what you guys call marine salt and aquarium salt.

IF you look at it sientificlly salt is salt. IT is NaCl and it is what it is. One salt is no different than another salt. IF there are other additives in the salt liek trace elements then there can be differences but how could I be wrong thinkign that all salt is the same?
Old 03-05-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have always ever used CoraLife for my main and octopus tank. No problems whatsoever. In fact when I recently purchased a Salifert Calcium test kit and tested a new batch, came up with about 450 Calcium in the fresh batch of saltwater, not bad!

P.S. My new seahorse seems to be doing fine in it as well - healthy, slowly moving around the tank looking for copepods, and eating the first night I brought him home...

Tags
aquarium salt, coral, coralife, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com