Coraline algae in FO tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

If you are planning to convert to an FOWLR it would be an easy task to get coralline going provided there was sufficient light intensity and regular water changes to keep up the chemistry. It won't happen overnight but it will eventually get going.

What are the details of your current set up :?:

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, 75gal, cs90 overflow with sump and a powerhead and the juiced up flourescent light. 3 clowns, 1 coral beauty, 1 shrimp and hermits and turbo snails. I wasn't tring to convert to FOWLR just add some color and a little life.

Coraline Algae will require sufficient calcium levels which are genrally provided by either supplements, reactors, or leaching from LR... This will be your primary challenge I suspect.. However since there are no Calcium consuming Inverts in the tank.. It may be easier than I imagine..

djustice said:
and the juiced up flourescent light.
You mean PC, VHO or NO? Even though you will not/may not convert to an FOWLR, coralline will still need 2-3w/gal for it to spread and flourish. It does best in an actinic spectrum 420-450 nm. The biggest challenge will be growing surfaces. Without the LR it will be contained to exposed equipment and aquarium walls. The coralline will not colonize the sand to any real extent to be visual. Even if adding a small amount of rock, it will still give the coralline a better foothold than without it.

If that is what you where looking for then I would suggest introducing some of <<Garf's Grunge>>. It will allow you to maintain the FO status at the same time introducing coralline spores to the tank. Just be sure if you have a skimmer it is turned off for a few days when the grunge or alternate source is added.

Regular water changes should be more than sufficient to maintain the chemistry for alk/Ca in the absence of addition CaCO3 consuming animals...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom