coralline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw-addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
In our tank we get coralline algae on all the plastic and the rock even all over the substrate. For some reason it will not grow on the glass, the glass does grow neon green hard as rock little dots. We hate cleaning the back wall of the tank and would like the purple coloring to take over the glass. Any suggestions helpful and very much appreciated. :D

thanks again

Could be the light intensity. I know that sounds strange but different colors of corline grow in different lights. In my 20 gal tank with 110W of light I would get purple corline all over the place. In a tank I just picked up the rocks and back of the tank had a red corline. Its possible the glass surfaces are getting more indirect light and thus the green color vs the purple color thats in a more direct light enviorment?

Just my observation, but in my 20 gallon with 110watts of light the darker red/purple coralline seems to grow on the undersides of the LR and where there is less light. I hardly get any growth in the front where the 10K bulb is but more on the back where the actinic mostly shines.

jackdp said:
Just my observation, but in my 20 gallon with 110watts of light the darker red/purple coralline seems to grow on the undersides of the LR

I've noticed the same thing. Coraline hasn't really grown anywhere else besides a few spots on my PH I noticed a few days ago.

That's funny...my propagation tanks have pink/light purple coraline all over the glass. They are 20 longs with 130w of PC lighting. It grows faster than I can scrape it off the front glass. The dark purple does seem to prefer the underside of the rocks though.

loganj said:
It grows faster than I can scrape it off the front glass. .

Wish mine grew that fast :cry: I think I'll have to scrap some off my rocks so it can spread faster.

Have you measured your Calcium? Keep your tank at 450 ppm and your alkalinity high and you are almost guaranteed nice pink corraline, if you other parameters are in line. I have it growing EVERYWHERE, including my sump with a shop light.

Back
Top Bottom