Coralline algae growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay well I have added some love rock but your saying I need to scrape it off? And when should I started adding all the calcium and iodine and magnesium if my tank is still cycling?

Krocky12 said:
Oh what if its on a snail

Yes brother buy sum margarita snails they are full of it it will work and purple up does work bro

As Rick said, Purple up is a concentrated Calcium supplement, which is what coralline uses to grow. Its also what corals require to grow. Dosing a calcium supplement without testing for calcium levels can result in a surplus of calcium, which could throw your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels out of wack, causing a negative effect like marine snow to occur in your tank. First rule of saltwater aquariums is to never add anything to your tank that you are not testing for. Premade salt mixes contain levels of calcium, alkalinity and magnesium in the required concentrations.

So should I start dosing now? I have a concentrated calcium buffer and a thing called liquid reef...do you know which would be better? And I also have a pH and alkalinity buffer..

No. As stated, please don't dose for anything you're not testing. There is absolutely no need to dose with any of those buffers and additives unless your tank REQUIRES it. Have you tested your water? What are your parameters?

Many folks, especially when first starting, never have to dose for anything when using a good reef salt. Even with a lot of corals, dosing may not be required...just some PWCs will replenish what the corals need.

Okay, I will test them all when I get home or take them to get tested

Back
Top Bottom