DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A Randfordii (sp?) or engineer goby could be cool. The engineer would get about as large as a medium snowflake eel and be very peaceful.

ahh yes the engineer goby... forgot about them, okay thats a good possibility... how many fish do u think i could stock?? overall i mean

Nu-Nu the eel said:
My engineer my have eaten my arrow crab :(

I'm a bit skeptical of that. If you saw him do it that would be one thing. These guys are so peaceful. Did you see him take a swipe at the crab before he went missing?

CorallineAlgae said:
I'm a bit skeptical of that. If you saw him do it that would be one thing. These guys are so peaceful. Did you see him take a swipe at the crab before he went missing?

Yeah we saw him lunge at the crab a few times, i watches him bite half of our foxfaces fin off, and the crabs legs were right inside his den... :eek: i hope it was a molt but we arent sure :/

Yeah we saw him lunge at the crab a few times, i watches him bite half of our foxfaces fin off, and the crabs legs were right inside his den... :eek: i hope it was a molt but we arent sure :/

Wow, your goby is getting a little out of control! Hope your arrow crab is okay, I know you guys really like that creepy thing. (You maybe a little more than Grant-lol)

Nu-Nu the eel said:

Yeah... definitely a troublemaker! That's really terrible to hear. You've had him a long time if I remember. So sad. :(

I have a pair of adult ones and they are strong and pretty aggressive. They haven't eaten anyone in my tank yet. But as you will see on the video, they are perfectly able to shred a small crab or shrimp. This is a pair that has mined extensive burrows under hundreds of pounds of rock. They live right next to each other, but don't get along very well. Nobody gets hurt.

http://youtu.be/zpLboYEC7Nk

Last edited:
so as much as i wanted a Snowflake eel and a Lionfish, i think im gonna shy away from them and make this a community tank instead :)

still not positive with what i wanna stock it with but the one fish i know for sure of is the Kole Tang. any other suggestions??

Dan, have you thought about a Fairy Wrasse. I have a Blue Flasher and a Clown Fairy (well I did until he jumped a couple of days ago). Also have a Purple Fish (very cool). Also have the required mated pair of Clowns. :)

I did go out this week and bought glass tops for the tank since I've had 4 fish jump since May. It's called Starfire glass and is thinner than a normal hood. They are crystal clear and cost about $64 for the pair.

Dan, have you thought about a Fairy Wrasse. I have a Blue Flasher and a Clown Fairy (well I did until he jumped a couple of days ago). Also have a Purple Fish (very cool). Also have the required mated pair of Clowns. :)

I did go out this week and bought glass tops for the tank since I've had 4 fish jump since May. It's called Starfire glass and is thinner than a normal hood. They are crystal clear and cost about $64 for the pair.

Never looked into a fairy wrasse.. aww I'm sorry about your jumper :/ that's never fun... good thing u bought a top now!.. I actually just bought myself the DIY screen top kit from BRS. Give that a try and see how it works.. if not then maybe I'll look into the starfire glass.

As far as fish go, I was thinking a pair of black or snowflake clowns maybe? A school of chromis possibly? And a few other small guys

Never looked into a fairy wrasse.. aww I'm sorry about your jumper :/ that's never fun... good thing u bought a top now!.. I actually just bought myself the DIY screen top kit from BRS. Give that a try and see how it works.. if not then maybe I'll look into the starfire glass.

As far as fish go, I was thinking a pair of black or snowflake clowns maybe? A school of chromis possibly? And a few other small guys

I love the snowflake clowns but at my lfs they are cha-ching. The Black Clowns are a little easier on the wallet. I have thought about snowflakes when I get to convert my 180g FO to a reef.

I love the snowflake clowns but at my lfs they are cha-ching. The Black Clowns are a little easier on the wallet. I have thought about snowflakes when I get to convert my 180g FO to a reef.

Lol yeah you're right. They are expensive but isn't everything in SW expensive? Lol I like the black clowns as well but the snowflakes are unique to me.. not a lot of ppl have them ya know? I guess mainly bc they're so expensive

for the engineer gobys, do you need to have a tight lid or no? I was thinking about getting one but I dont want them to cave in my rocks when they burrow. Would this be an issue?

TommyP said:
for the engineer gobys, do you need to have a tight lid or no? I was thinking about getting one but I dont want them to cave in my rocks when they burrow. Would this be an issue?

My rocks havent collapsed at all, and yes you need a tight lid for every species of fish IMO.

Wow thanks for all the options! Haha I was on Live aquaria last night looking at things.. so many options to choose from :)

Cycle is coming along great. I'll post the "Day 5" results when I get home from work in a few hours

Okay Day 5...
Ammo .50-1ppm
Nitrite .50ppm
Nitrate 40ppm

Nothing new but the ammo jumped a lil higher

Back
Top Bottom