Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #421
Aquarium Advice Addict

Better? Both are vertical now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121115_165804.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	132066  

Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #422
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180
Better? Both are vertical now
No. That won't work at all. You won't have any head pressure at the top of the check valve that way. It won't shut it off. Actually, it'll stop the water from the pump from going into the tank unless you put it upside down! Remember, the water will be flowing "down" in the spot where it is now as opposed to "up" where the other check valve is. Visualize the flow.

If it can't be right above the main pump (best place) you'll have to put it under the the overflow return. It will secure the main return line in that spot but won't be a backup for the rear return.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #423
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

No. That won't work at all. You won't have any head pressure at the top of the check valve that way. It won't shut it off. Actually, it'll stop the water from the pump from going into the tank unless you put it upside down! Remember, the water will be flowing "down" in the spot where it is now as opposed to "up" where the other check valve is. Visualize the flow.

If it can't be right above the main pump (best place) you'll have to put it under the the overflow return. It will secure the main return line in that spot but won't be a backup for the rear return.
Wow this is frustrating lol so ur saying to put it directly above the return pump? Like pump, PVC, valve, PVC, then rest of the system??
Old 11-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #424
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like This??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121115_174556.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	132068  
Old 11-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #425
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Like This??
Exactly. Perfect perfect perfect. That's the ideal spot to use it. Now it'll prevent back flow for the whole return and you still have another check on the critical return line. Bonus is you won't have to run your pipes so low in the back! It took a while but you have a proper apartment safe tank. Just make sure all the arrows are pointing toward the top tank and it's game on.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #426
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
Exactly. Perfect perfect perfect. That's the ideal spot to use it. Now it'll prevent back flow for the whole return and you still have another check on the critical return line. Bonus is you won't have to run your pipes so low in the back! It took a while but you have a proper apartment safe tank. Just make sure all the arrows are pointing toward the top tank and it's game on.
finallllyyyyy!!! hahaha thanks for being so patient with me!!... i think im just gonna leave it the way it is now, im running outta PVC pipe and dont feel like making yet another trip to Lowes lol so i guess ill start glueing everything together once i finish with leak testing the sump.... theres not a whole lot of wiggle room under the tank :/
Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #427
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem Dan. I'm glad to hear you got it. Can't wait for the system test. This is going to be one heck of an upgrade from your first tank!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #428
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
No problem Dan. I'm glad to hear you got it. Can't wait for the system test. This is going to be one heck of an upgrade from your first tank!
well i after tomorrow i will have everything i need to run the tank, wont have any lights yet but thats okay bc itll be cycling for awhile anyways...

Now, next question... after much reading, ive decided to go WITHOUT a filter sock and just run the intake pvc pipe into the sump and just have it submerged... any objections to this method?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #429
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

well i after tomorrow i will have everything i need to run the tank, wont have any lights yet but thats okay bc itll be cycling for awhile anyways...

Now, next question... after much reading, ive decided to go WITHOUT a filter sock and just run the intake pvc pipe into the sump and just have it submerged... any objections to this method?
I much rather not have a sock myself. Having one around isn't bad in the unlikely event something crazy happens like a kid putting a ton of food in the tank or maybe when you blow built-up detritus off of your rock every 6 months or so. For that it's nice to have a sock around but otherwise I never bother either. They're a big pain.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #430
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I much rather not have a sock myself. Having one around isn't bad in the unlikely event something crazy happens like a kid putting a ton of food in the tank or maybe when you blow built-up detritus off of your rock every 6 months or so. For that it's nice to have a sock around but otherwise I never bother either. They're a big pain.
thats the exact response i was looking for.. a lot of people said the same thing, okay so NO sock for my tank other than for safety measures haha

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com