Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I might see if repurposing my gourmet algae clip will work well. It’d keep my arm much dryer.

If it’s their food source ,...they’ll find it and adapt to where it is ,... as far as the masstick and the ats plastic mesh ,I firmly push the masstick into the mesh , it stays there until the critters nip it off . Works very well .

A couple of weird event over the last month or so ,...one day while relaxing and watching tv suddenly about 1/2 my tank suddenly shut down ,.. in a panic mode I jumped up and tried to find the cause ,... a long story short , I found a hydro koralia powerheads had suddenly froze up and tripped the gfi plug ,... I replaced it with a old hydro koralia powerheads that I had cleaned up after it had stopped working the year earlier ,..... so the tank fired back up and has ran for a couple of weeks without issue when all of a sudden basically the same case scenario appeared but this time the powerhead continued to run but I was getting some shockingly stray voltage in the water ,... one night I woke up at 11 pm to hear silence , which was not a normal thing ! , there’s usually a chugging sound coming from all the pumps running . I quickly sprung out of bed and groggily tried to find out what the heck was going on ,..... another really long story cut short ,it was the older powerhead that was causing the trouble .i assume there was a crack in the cords insulation which was leaking voltage into the water .
I replaced that old powerhead with another brand of powerhead and everything is back to normal and running smoothly once again,....I seem to have the worst luck running these hydro koralia powerheads,... I have one last one in my tank which I’m sure will croak soon enough .
Other than that the powder blue tang has been gaining a lot of weight and has been happily swimming with the rest of the fish without aggression.

I have a box full of those powerheads as I have used them for over 10 years. They don’t last long. I am hoping my Gyres run a lot longer.

That’s crazy Dary. The only problem I ever had with those powerheads was them going in reverse and I’ve been pretty hard on some of them.
Though with that said, I do want to upgrade to a gyre to try to eliminate the dead zones in my system at some point. After I get the ac fixed maybe.

I just tossed those two powerheads in the can for tomorrow’s pickup ,...I bought a gyres last year ( after Greg’s recommendations) ...it’s been maintenance free since it was installed , they’re expensive tho and that’s a big reason one would go with cheaper hydro’s etc,... that being said slowly all my koralias will be replaced .
Hey Greg , how did the homemade masstick come out ?

Last edited:
I got hooked on a 3D printing project making a strobe light bracket for my Inspire drone. Go everything setup for the test. May get to it yet this week. Glad you got the Gyres. Can you hear them?

I got hooked on a 3D printing project making a strobe light bracket for my Inspire drone. Go everything setup for the test. May get to it yet this week. Glad you got the Gyres. Can you hear them?

..... at 66 I’m lucky to hear the tv 1/2 the time :-/

Dinner bell at the masstick feeding station ... note “ harry “ the serpent star doesn’t miss a meal eitherIMG_2842.jpgIMG_2834.jpgIMG_2831.jpgIMG_2833.jpg

Probably the two oldest old bears ... how’s life Greg? Did the masstick concoction work for you as intended ???

it’s been a long time since I posted here ,..just got back from the big island a few days ago, glad to report that “two step” is alive and well, my gf Laura has always wanted to swim with the dolphins there but it seems like whenever we were there they weren’t ,.. but this time the spinner dolphins showed up and according to her she was right amongst them within a few feet ,her eyes and smile were illuminated like a full moon when she climbed out !
There was the usual assortment of yellow tangs by the zillions along with a few small jacks,parrotfish etc.
I did see a really large triggerfish there that I’ve never seen before in all the years of snorkeling there ,prob in the neighborhood of 5 plus lbs and solid gray ,...a friend of mine from work and her husband were snorkeling off Bali (?) a few months ago and were telling me stories of being hassled by the local titan triggerfish, she says she still has nightmares about them.
My tank situation is still going ok , I lost my powder blue tang after about 8 months or so,...for some reason I just can’t seem to keep one longer than that , I wanna keep trying but for some reason they just don’t like me ., I hate to wipe out the specie by trying again ...but....
My tank got infested by majanos and as you know it’s a lifelong project to rid the tank of em.
I wish someone would invent a additive that would wipe them out but not harm anything else !!
I’m not following you regarding the blower on you ats . Maybe a photo might help.
The loss of John a little while back truly sucks ,... he will truly be missed !!!!
I hope everybody is doing well and your tanks are healthy and beautiful

I have the wand, laser and aptasia x ..., my first choice is the “x” factor ., then the wand and lastly the laser.. the wand works good as long as you fry them really good so they don’t come back ... anyway you do it it’s going to be a job

It sure is Dary. I have a massive outbreak and am hitting ~20 a day. Added confirmed aiptasia eating peppermints.
Just feels like making no headway... but the current girl has named the peppermint scampi..., so that’s a thing I guess.

I bought a Klein’s butterfly fish about a year ago and even though I don’t see him hitting the manjanos, they are disappearing. But not in my frag tank where he can’t get too. Kalkwasser paste with some corn starch works for me. The laser was a waste of money and the wand works, but as Dary said you have to fry every last bit of the pest.

Sorry to hear about the tang Dary. Mine are all still far and fine. Feeding fresh Kale daily with some Nori and pellets has kept the weight on all my fish, but I lost a lot of the huge acro colony I grew when my alkalinity was jumping around. It’s starting to heal itself. But will take years to recover from about a week of high alkalinity.

Sounds like Hawaii was deluxe as usual.

I bought the DJI Mavic 2 drone BTW. Here is a link of it autonomously chasing me down a tree covered lane at our farm. It used its 360 degree vision to plot a course around the obstacles. Truly cool and yes, I know it isn’t about fish.

https://youtu.be/kwJrzcULPUU

Back
Top Bottom