Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #661
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421
,.... It's been a long time since I've had to actually cry out to the community for help BUT for the last four or five days my tank's water has turned from crystal clear to rather murky looking ( basically overnite) and I do not know why ,....water parameters have remained fairly stable, nothing dead ,no new equipment etc,.....I've done a couple of water changes this week but she's still kinda murky....waters at 1.026 ,...calcium at 420..,,alk 10.5 phos 0.08 nitrates 2.0 ,....everything looks healthy but just murkier than it should be ,...any ideas ???
Algae bloom?Do you run a uv sterilizer?

Old 01-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #662
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef

Algae bloom?
That was my first thought but what would cause that to happen so suddenly??? ,...it's been sooo clear for so long,.. I'm currently already running a reactor for the phosphates,..and have basically changed nothing as far as equipment ,lighting etc,...she's a little better since my last pwc ( an hour ago ) but it's got me a little stumped.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #663
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef

Algae bloom?Do you run a uv sterilizer?
No uv.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #664
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My best guess is;

A coral could have release something

A organism(s) in your substrate sent up a plume ( I see these often in my tank, some kind of worm, looks like a little volcano)

You had a temporary bacterial bloom from something that died off.

Calcium reaction, something chemically changed that caused some calcium to precipitate out.

You forgot to put your glasses on today and everything is fuzzy.

The tank glass has lost its clarity and is becoming opaque...check for warranty.

A fish in your tank is tired of you spying on him all the time and thru extreme cleverness he has aquired a tiny can of spray paint and is applying it at night while you sleep...okay, that one is probably not the cause.

It will just go away is my best guess...you might run a poly filter for a while.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #665
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
My best guess is;

A coral could have release something

A organism(s) in your substrate sent up a plume ( I see these often in my tank, some kind of worm, looks like a little volcano)

You had a temporary bacterial bloom from something that died off.

Calcium reaction, something chemically changed that caused some calcium to precipitate out.

You forgot to put your glasses on today and everything is fuzzy.

The tank glass has lost its clarity and is becoming opaque...check for warranty.

A fish in your tank is tired of you spying on him all the time and thru extreme cleverness he has aquired a tiny can of spray paint and is applying it at night while you sleep...okay, that one is probably not the cause.

It will just go away is my best guess...you might run a poly filter for a while.
Greg..... As always ,.some good useful information wrapped up in some clever humor ( BS) .. I'll keep an watchful eye on things ,... Thank you,...
Old 01-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #666
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421

Greg..... As always ,.some good useful information wrapped up in some clever humor ( BS) .. I'll keep an watchful eye on things ,... Thank you,...
What is information without some (BS)? Maintaining a ocean in a box perched in your family room is not a sane thing to do anyway.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #667
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote

What is information without some (BS)? Maintaining a ocean in a box perched in your family room is not a sane thing to do anyway.
True,..let alone having to become a self appointed scientist , veterinarian ,plumber,biologist , carpenter and chemist,..no wonder why I can't figure this out
Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #668
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well.., whatever it was that had clouded up my water for the last week has all but disappeared .., thank goodness !! .. I'll probably never know for sure what it was or what caused it ,but it just goes to show you that it's a fragile little world that we bring into our living rooms.., hopefully it was just a passing thing .., but for now ., all's well again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3830714266.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	72758  
Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #669
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome. Glad it all cleared up. Your tank is looking sweet!!

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #670
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just wondering, how big is this tank? I thought it was a 75 but that pic makes it look pretty big to be a 75.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com