Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X

Old 05-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol that is funny! But question is does anyone wanna help me by letting me know the "general" stocking for an 80??

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 05-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcobra View Post
Hey PB Smith,

No I am not using any mechanical filtering. Have rocks and matrix as filter media.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
the possible issue here is that the detritus and bacterial flock (dead bacteria cells) will quickly clog the pores in the matrix and thereby reduce it's effectiveness. A filter sock or other means of removing those particles would help alleviate that to an extent.
One way around this would be to fluidize the matrix so the outer surface is continually being "scrubbed clean".

Using a filter sock also allows you to remove waste from the system before it has a chance to be broken down to ultimately become nitrate.

What I meant by a "thin margin of error" is that in the event of a mishap that somehow compromises your systems filtration ability may have more drastic and faster impacts than a system with more and/or redundant filtering schemes in place.

If it is working for you, great.
personally I prefer a more robust scheme and a bit of redundancy in my set-ups as well as allowing for mishaps.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:50 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodeniro View Post
Lol that is funny! But question is does anyone wanna help me by letting me know the "general" stocking for an 80??

that's a tough one to answer off hand.
How big and what type of fish do you want?
Are you more interested in corals or fish?

what are the actual dimensions of the tank?
a longer tank will be suitable for tangs, for example.

liveaquria.com can give you a ball park on particular fish, but beyond that there are a lot of variables you need to decide on first.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
that's a tough one to answer off hand.
How big and what type of fish do you want?
Are you more interested in corals or fish?

what are the actual dimensions of the tank?
a longer tank will be suitable for tangs, for example.

liveaquria.com can give you a ball park on particular fish, but beyond that there are a lot of variables you need to decide on first.

Aquarium = 52d x 132w x 73h cm. I have a few corals gradually collecting more I also have a yellow tang 2 clowns and a mandarin. I look on live aquaria before I buy fish and coral I stuck the dimensions in a calculator and it came out as 50cm fish?

Old 05-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You can't pick fish by size for a salt water tank. It's completely different than fresh water. Some fish don't move very much and hang around the rock- these fish would be fine in a smaller tank without stress, but some open water swimmers may not take well to a small square box- these fish will not do well.
Also consider diet- some fish like wrasses will out compete your mandarin for food and you'll wind up starving it to death.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Makes sense i read up on the fish before I buy them, but I guess I won't have a specific number before I need extra filtration. I guess that's where any changes in my tests will show me.

Tags
filtration, mechanical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com