Do you use mechanical filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol that is funny! But question is does anyone wanna help me by letting me know the "general" stocking for an 80??

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hey PB Smith,

No I am not using any mechanical filtering. Have rocks and matrix as filter media.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

the possible issue here is that the detritus and bacterial flock (dead bacteria cells) will quickly clog the pores in the matrix and thereby reduce it's effectiveness. A filter sock or other means of removing those particles would help alleviate that to an extent.
One way around this would be to fluidize the matrix so the outer surface is continually being "scrubbed clean".

Using a filter sock also allows you to remove waste from the system before it has a chance to be broken down to ultimately become nitrate.

What I meant by a "thin margin of error" is that in the event of a mishap that somehow compromises your systems filtration ability may have more drastic and faster impacts than a system with more and/or redundant filtering schemes in place.

If it is working for you, great.
personally I prefer a more robust scheme and a bit of redundancy in my set-ups as well as allowing for mishaps.

Lol that is funny! But question is does anyone wanna help me by letting me know the "general" stocking for an 80??

that's a tough one to answer off hand.
How big and what type of fish do you want?
Are you more interested in corals or fish?

what are the actual dimensions of the tank?
a longer tank will be suitable for tangs, for example.

liveaquria.com can give you a ball park on particular fish, but beyond that there are a lot of variables you need to decide on first.

that's a tough one to answer off hand.
How big and what type of fish do you want?
Are you more interested in corals or fish?

what are the actual dimensions of the tank?
a longer tank will be suitable for tangs, for example.

liveaquria.com can give you a ball park on particular fish, but beyond that there are a lot of variables you need to decide on first.

Aquarium = 52d x 132w x 73h cm. I have a few corals gradually collecting more I also have a yellow tang 2 clowns and a mandarin. I look on live aquaria before I buy fish and coral I stuck the dimensions in a calculator and it came out as 50cm fish?

You can't pick fish by size for a salt water tank. It's completely different than fresh water. Some fish don't move very much and hang around the rock- these fish would be fine in a smaller tank without stress, but some open water swimmers may not take well to a small square box- these fish will not do well.
Also consider diet- some fish like wrasses will out compete your mandarin for food and you'll wind up starving it to death.

Makes sense i read up on the fish before I buy them, but I guess I won't have a specific number before I need extra filtration. I guess that's where any changes in my tests will show me.

Back
Top Bottom