Downsizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Triggersgalore

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I am thinking of downsizing I have a 240 gallon reef and I want to downsize to about a 90 g if I transported the water from my 240 to my 90 and transported the bio balls would I still have to cycle the tank?

There is nearly no BB in the water column of your tank. If you moved over your LR and bio balls you shouldn't need to cycle the tank.

I agree, moved my tank a few months ago and used/kept everything.

it didn't cycle or anything, just let it settle down for a few days to get all the parameters normal and away I went

You'll prob get a little mini cycle or maybe a small algae bloom. Just be sure to keep your rock and sand submerged to help keep it live. You should be fine. Oh and ditch those little nitrate balls. Best choice I ever made. Hope the move goes well.

Yeah it's just everything kind of re-establishing, nbd you may not even notice it. I got a little bloom last transfer but it was gone in a week.

You'll prob get a little mini cycle or maybe a small algae bloom. Just be sure to keep your rock and sand submerged to help keep it live. You should be fine. Oh and ditch those little nitrate balls. Best choice I ever made. Hope the move goes well.

Ok what do you recommend? A fuge?

Ok what do you recommend? A fuge?

Definitely a Fuge. Best decision I've made for my tank. I have a 6 foot sump which I split up into three sections, a sump which holds media, skimmer, heaters, and my reactors. Then my Fuge, then a return with my ATO. Nitrates and phosphates are barely detectable most of the time. I do have a phosphate reactor tho bc I feed the crap out of my tank, and was having a phosphate problem a few months back. Anyway, yeah, a Fuge at min will help tremendously.

Back
Top Bottom