Drip acclimation method, Netting harmful to fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesR

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ready for a new fish in my 125 Gal FOLR aquarium. I have read about the drip method of acclimation and am thinking of giving it a shot. Once the acclimation has been completed, is it harmful to the fish to net it and put it into the tank? Is there a better way to get the fish from the bucket to it's new home?

If I take the time and effort to drip acclimate, I want to ensure the fish is transported to it's new home in the best way possible.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

I think you have to weigh your options here and choose what is the least harmful to the fish and the tank. The least stressful method of transferring the fish is to cath it in a cup and tansfer it in water, but then to release the fish, you have to add that water to your system. The netting and transfer out of water is stressful, and depending on the thrashing of the fish...is potentially damaging to the slime coat and skin/scales of the fish. If your adding the a Q-tank (recommended) either method is probably OK, if adding directly to the display aquarium (not recommended) then I would opt for netting, it may damage the fish slightly, but the immediate danger is only to the one specimen (although that could endanger the other inhabitants in time) where as adding the LFS water into your display may endanger the entire tank.

I don't use a bucket to drip acclimate but instead a small 2.5g tank. This makes it much easier to net the fish, thus less stressful. It also helps to have the lights out for a while when adding the fish to its new home.

I would definitely go with the net for the reasons RR mentioned, and also incase the LFS water has copper in it.

Thanks for the info!

Would it be possible to use a small container with holes in the bottom to scoop out the fish after acclimation, then once the water drains, place the fish into aquarium? Just thinking of ways to avoid the net.

Jim

I use a small plastic strainer, IMO better then a net and it only takes seconds to drain the water so there is no problem. I would never add a LFS water to my tank unless necessary for certain species of fish that can not be exposed to air. Net method has also worked for years...... How do the LFS get the fish into the bag in the first place. Very few use the plastic collector.
Drip acclimation IMO is the BEST way to acclimate fish

Thanks for the great advice!

One final thought, I just picked up a small airpump and airstone to use during the acclimation period. Should I run it the entire time of the acclimation period?

Thanks again,
Jim

JamesR said:
One final thought, I just picked up a small airpump and airstone to use during the acclimation period. Should I run it the entire time of the acclimation period?

You can run the air pump the entire time.

Wow, I have been researching this topic all day and there are tons of info about acclimation techniques out there, and most of them contradict each other!

I have read to use and NOT ever to use an airstone to acclimate because it lowers pH. I have also read that the drip method is not the best way, others say it is.

Here is what I have decided to do.... feel free to comment: float bag in tank for 15 min, drip acclimate fish for about an hour, adding AmQuel into the LFS water. Net fish and put it into tank.

* I'm also a big fan of putting the fish in with the lights out in the tank and keeping the area dark during acclimation.

Jim

The bit about the airstone lowering pH makes no sense to me, but I wouldn't use one simply because it's not needed and could end up stressing the fish out anyway.

I do the same procedure you listed but don't add AmQuel. I would strongly recommend not adding anything.

I would also add that when floating the bag, be sure it is done so unopened. This allows the pH to come up and equalize at the same time as the temp. If the bag is opened too soon the subsequent pH rise will shock the fish. IMO, that is one of the more common causes of death in new fish....

Once floated for the 15ish min, it will then be much safer to open and continue acclimation to the water parameters of the QT.

Cheers
Steve

Dark tank is a great idea. floating for 15 min is fine
IMO proper Drip method is add fish to small bucket, check SG of water from LFS then check your SG. Now if they are the same then drip for at least 1 hour then release. If they are not the same drip 1 hour check SG of bucket if not the same as tank dump some water out and continue drip for 30 min check again if the same I drip for another 30 then release. You need to check SG of the water to make the drip method successful other wise it is just like adding to water in floating bag. I cover the bucket with a towel keeping the fish dark. i sometimes put a heating pad under the bucket to help keep the temp up.
Some LFS have a low SG around .019, .015. Me reef is .025 so i need to drip my new fish for around 3 hours to get a proper acclimation. I have been very very successful using this method and the guys in my Reef club all use the same method with great success.

Here is what I have decided to do.... feel free to comment: float bag in tank for 15 min, drip acclimate fish for about an hour, adding AmQuel into the LFS water. Net fish and put it into tank.

Depending on how long the fish has been in the bag...the amquel is not necessary. For 1 hour to be long enough the drip needs to be pretty fast, although it should be alright, for most species, some species of inverts and some delicate fish will require very lengthy acclimations.

Back
Top Bottom