Elusive Mantis Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easyian

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have recently found a mantis shrimp in my tank. I have not added rock to my system for about 4 months. The other day I heard clicking from the tank and have been watching it like a hawk to find the cause. Then I saw a wee little mantis head poke out of a piece of rock. Do you think it may have been to small to have made noise earlier and is now maturing to a point that he is now attacking things? Do mantis shrimp burrow in by using their club appendage? And I have tried to catch this little guy by means of tilted glass and the pop bottle trick but catch everything else in my tank but the mantis. Do they tend to stay in the rock when they are small and venture out more as they mature?

There really is no trick to catching them, it's more diligence and patience. I've read that they are extremely smart and if your first trap fails, the mantis will remember and not venture near the same trap again. There are traps sold that I've heard work well. X-terminator I believe one is called. You may be able to find one at marinedepot.com. I've used carbonated water to flush one out, but it hasn't worked consistantly with others. Here is an article worth a read on one guys story and several other methods of removal. HTH

A Load of Learnin' About Mantis Shrimps by James Fatherree - Reefkeeping.com

Back
Top Bottom