First post / new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bsnow0410

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I am new to saltwater and reef tanks. I've been researching a lot and learned quite a bit but not even close to how much I can and need to...also I'm starting to become a lot more interested in just the marine culture in general. It's so colorful and bright it's awesome.

So anyway I'm gunna try to do a 20gal long nano reef for my first shot. I've heard mixed things like dont try small tanks and blah blah blah but I like to do things the hard way first so it's easier later after you mess up a few times and I don't want to spend money on a new aquarium.

So right now I have a marine land H.O.T magnum hang on canister filter, lees protein skimmer, marine land maxi-jet 400, viaAqua quartz heater, and a tetra whisper 20gal air pump, also have a API saltwater master kit. So I still need to get reef test kit, salt, lights, live rock, fish (in about two months).

Let me know what you think.

I would say the 20 long is a good size tank. I not a big fan of canister filters so if it was me I would ditch that. You equipment list looks good, do you have a ro-di system? If you are going reef I believe it's a must. The water is the most important ingredient for a reef tank ;) sounds like you are on the right track, take your time and make sure to research any livestock before you buy. Welcome to the most addictive hobby!

So are you going to be doing corals? I would recommend a 'for but not with' coral system. The difference is you can cheap out on lights now (you mentioned cheaping out, which is a reasonable concept) and if you truely get the bug, upgrade later. Also, no need for the Reef test kit unless you are going to go reef. Finally, leave the air pump out. You don't need or want it in a saltwater system.

Yea thanks and I'm picking up some led lights with blue and white spectrum should be good enough for corals. And for the canister filter I'm just gunna use it for now till I figure out a sump idea bc a friend of mine has done saltwater and said its the best way to go but for now I'm gunna go with the canister filter and change out filters every two weeks.

I need some ideas for live rock though. How I should go about it and what not. At my LFS they have some live rock for 12.99 a pound which is pretty expensive but it's very established has lots of stuff growing on it and already a has some mushrooms and other stuff. But idk bc I'm startIng one out from scratch so I could always just get rock and let it cycle itself I'm the new tank for and a month and a half.

Idk give me some poinyers

You can use dry base rock and 1 lb of live rock to seed the base rock it will save you a lot of cash if your planing to go reef buy the lights now no need to pay twice for lights. A sump is a good idea as it adds volume to the system leaving more room for mistakes Keep the fish stock light 3-5 nano fish

So are you going to be doing corals? I would recommend a 'for but not with' coral system. The difference is you can cheap out on lights now (you mentioned cheaping out, which is a reasonable concept) and if you truely get the bug, upgrade later. Also, no need for the Reef test kit unless you are going to go reef. Finally, leave the air pump out. You don't need or want it in a saltwater system.

I believe the air pump is for his skimmer. Am I right?

I wouldn't use any of that 12 dollar a pound rock. I would use all dry rock. Ditch the air pump and you will need a larger power head than a maxijet 400 for a 20 long IMO.

The air pump is for the skimmer correct. And the guy at the LFS only works with saltwater tanks and he said the power head should be plenty fine with the canister filter on too.

You can use dry base rock and 1 lb of live rock to seed the base rock it will save you a lot of cash if your planing to go reef buy the lights now no need to pay twice for lights. A sump is a good idea as it adds volume to the system leaving more room for mistakes Keep the fish stock light 3-5 nano fish

Thanks a lot for the info I appreciate it. And yea I wanted to have 6 at the most. And I'm not really sure how all the live rock stuff works and how I would go about starting it and all

You'll have to wash the canister out regularly....like weekly, or you will see a nitrate build up. The power head is way undersized, especially if you decide to add corals.
You'll see. 100gph is about enough for a pico.

Go all dry rock IMO, much cheaper and no pests.. Ditch the canister asap and until you can, clean it religiously. Do you know what brand of lights it is you plan on getting? I know you said LED with a white/blue spectrum but LEn Ds are not created equal. Good luck with your set up.. 20g isn't hard to maintain if you keep up with it.. I had one for a few months but due to circumstances, it was just easier to move it into my 55g.. Have fun and ask questions!

Thanks a lot for the info I appreciate it. And yea I wanted to have 6 at the most. And I'm not really sure how all the live rock stuff works and how I would go about starting it and all

Live rock is just a way to add surface area for the bacteria thats needed for our tanks to survive. (Biological filter) If you use all dry base it will become live as your tank cycles. By using a piece of "live" rock all your doing is speeding up the cycle.
The power head is like Doug said under sized for your tank, Im running a Hydor 750 in my 20 long just to give you an idea of good flow

Here's a bit of home work that will aid you (I know just what you want to hear:)) Articles

Thanks for all the info. And yea canister filter will be rinsed once a week filter changes every other week. And for the power head would it be easier to buy a bigger one or just buy another one and have 2?

And also the led lights I'm gunna purchase are double bright led lights by marineland

And also the led lights I'm gunna purchase are double bright led lights by marineland

Those lights will not keep any corals.. Can't remember if you said this was going to be a reef though?.. What is your budget for lights?

Those lights will not keep any corals.. Can't remember if you said this was going to be a reef though?.. What is your budget for lights?

Well I'd like to spend around 100$ at the most in lights

The Marineland lights are not going to cut it unless you are going for fish only. The canister should be fine depending on your bio load, and I like the idea of 2 power heads vs 1 to help with low flow spots. Looking forward to the progress.

Ok so I figured it out. I dug out one of my 400watt hid lights so should I run the metal halide or the high pressure sodium?

Back
Top Bottom