Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2004, 07:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

fishmate for puffer?

Hi, everyone. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what type of fish I could put with my porcupine and dog face puffer? I know the two don't typically belong together, but I watched them in the LFS for a few months before purchasing them. They get along wonderfully.
The problem is the porcupine has eaten all the smaller fish I had. I just tried a naso tang (about 5"), but he killed and ate him within a week.
I have a 90 gal. tank with a protein skimmer, uv light, and a 20 gal bio-rocker wet-dry. I also have an undergravel filter.
The porcupine and dog face are both about 5 inches. Thanks for any advise.

Old 05-29-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to pufferman
if you put any fish with them that arent as aggressive, then they need to be a deal larger than the puffers. Triggers will normally get along, especially ones the same size. As with the tangs, get some that are pretty big, about 7".

P-MAN

Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 10:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
i would recomend a trigger, or an eel, maby even a mabe a decent sized wrasse as well.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:29 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
The problem is the porcupine has eaten all the smaller fish I had. I just tried a naso tang (about 5"), but he killed and ate him within a week.
Wow! How big is that puff?
Old 05-30-2004, 02:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just keep in mind that the puffers, especially the dog-faced, and porcupine require a lot of swimming space. Usually, they would require at least a 125G. I too have a 90G tank, but they seem to get to large for it. The Naso tang gets quite large itself as well. Just food for thought when you start adding livestock to your tank.

Mike
Old 05-30-2004, 10:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Triggers and eels are both good options. Get good sized ones though. Also, when you introduce them into the tank, go ahead and hove around the rocks and decorations so they are all forced to find their own new territtory instead of defending the ones they have already established.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you dont mind the venom on the side of lionfish. They make a very nice roommate
2 Blood Shrimp
Few Snails
Few Hermits
ACoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 02:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would stick with those aggressive larger guys, warsse, lionfish, trigger. Or even the eel for variety. What about a grouper or a dampiera they are beautiful fish too!

Good luck
Christina
tuwhada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 05:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do porcupine puffers leave cleaner wrasses alone?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:07 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
I have a 4-5" porcupine puffer in a 55 (for now). A hair algae outbreak caused me to buy a Kole Tang. The Tang was about the same size as the puffer, maybe a tad longer. The puffer ignores him like he is invisible.
Is your puffer well fed? They eat a lot. That's why I asked how big he was. If he's eating 5" fish, he must be pretty good size. The above suggestions are good ones. A large aggressive fish may be able to hold his own. Lots of LR will allow each fish to carve out some territory and avoid some of the aggression.

Tags
puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com