Flow and powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
During a visit to the LFS I noticed in their main display tank that the return flow nozzles from the sump were all pointed up at the surface of the water and the majority of their flow was coming from a Vortech pump.

I guess this improves the water/gas exchange process. What about creating motion for the corals and fish. What is considered moderate?

Thanks...Steve

Depends on tank size, what kind of corals you are keeping. Some corals like low flow and some high flow. Of course you can keep both but have to place them in the thank accordingly. I have 5 PHs in my 120 plus the return.

I've got a 120g with mostly LPS. I have 1200gph coming from my return pump from 4 nozzles and a Vortech MP 10. I've got enough flow coming in it is just directing it that I'm concerned about.

Is this moderate flow? Is that too much or too little over the corals?

Steve

i think i would want a little more flow than that. btw, that algae you have at the base of the rock. if that's the same algae as i'm thinking, it's evil!
nothing eats it and it spreads like wild fire.
is it a vine-like algae with oval leaves and anchoring "roots"?

Sorry I am at work and can not go on youtube :S

If you check my pics in my profile you can see how I have my PHs aimed.

I have two on the back wall on a slight angle aiming towards the return pump. The reason for this is because the return pump is rather powerfull plus the PH i have on that side of the tank facing length wise is modified and is like a 1600 gph. Then on the opposite side of the tank facing length wise I have two, one aiming behind my LR and one counter acting the 1600, which is a 1400. All depends how you aim them and if they are ricocheting off the glass or not. ...

Thanks will work on adjusting the flow today.

Doug, yes I'm trying to remove it. It came on my feather dusters and has spread a bit. I noticed the larger of the mexican snails I have eating it but not voraciously. Have been picking it here and there but haven't in a few days.

Thanks...Steve

Thanks will work on adjusting the flow today.

Doug, yes I'm trying to remove it. It came on my feather dusters and has spread a bit. I noticed the larger of the mexican snails I have eating it but not voraciously. Have been picking it here and there but haven't in a few days.

Thanks...Steve
i would seriously consider removing the rock it's on and tossing that thing in the sump. i fought that stuff for a long while in a couple coral tanks i had. i eventually had to rip out all of the eggcrate and build new shelves.

Back
Top Bottom