Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dingusplease's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,364
Yep, it'd be 14 inches (tank is 60*18*26). What's your opinion on 10" at the front, and 12-13" at the back? I did some research on how to do it, with larger stones at the back.

And keeping only a matted filefish with them. It's currently an inch long, so should get along with the eels as they acclimate.


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
dingusplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:51 PM   #12
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,533
I'd have nightmares thinking if they get out ,
__________________

__________________
Save
54seaweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
My opinion is that it's not much swimming room, but a file should be fine. Will you sit the rocks on the bottom and then add the sand? Might be a good idea since they will burrow deeply and there will be a risk of settling.
Since it's so shallow you'll probably take to hand feeding them if they let you. It will probably be more rewarding and cleaner for the tank than broadcast feeding in the flow.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dingusplease's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
I'd have nightmares thinking if they get out ,

Same here lol. I'll be building a tight fitting screen lid based on this:
http://reefbuilders.com/2015/05/07/a...creen-top-diy/


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________
dingusplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dingusplease's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
My opinion is that it's not much swimming room, but a file should be fine. Will you sit the rocks on the bottom and then add the sand? Might be a good idea since they will burrow deeply and there will be a risk of settling.
Since it's so shallow you'll probably take to hand feeding them if they let you. It will probably be more rewarding and cleaner for the tank than broadcast feeding in the flow.

Yeah, all the rock on the bottom, in the back. Most of the rock will be in the sump anyway.
Everything I've read says broadcast feeding is the way to go since they're so shy, but maybe they'll get used to me and let me handfeed . Good point about water quality - my thinking is to use an auto feeder with tiny amounts of food 8 times a day, with one frozen feeding daily. Maybe that'll help with pollution?
Also thinking about doing three or four mangrove shoots in the back, to deter the eels from trying to burrow into rocks, and to mimic the sand denitrification effect of mangroves. I thought it would be cool because mangroves might help with DSB toxicity.


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________
dingusplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I have never imported these for anyone and have no hands on experience with them, but I imagine them to be like snowflakes or even jawfish in that they will get used to you over time. What kind of food will you be able to put in an auto feeder? Dry, pellet or flake? I would be more worried about them accepting prepared foods than not getting used to who or what is feeding them.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dingusplease's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I have never imported these for anyone and have no hands on experience with them, but I imagine them to be like snowflakes or even jawfish in that they will get used to you over time. What kind of food will you be able to put in an auto feeder? Dry, pellet or flake? I would be more worried about them accepting prepared foods than not getting used to who or what is feeding them.

Im contacting some people at the shedd (they have a bunch of these guys), and I'll ask about hand feeding.
The big thing is their natural feeding pattern of not leaving their burrow for food means that hand feeding them close enough to the burrows (8 times a day) would be nearly impossible. They literally need the food to go by them in the current, and even large piece of food will scare them back into the holes. Maybe they'd acclimate to me, I'm not sure.
Dry food, spectrum pellets probably. They can take a while to start eating, but after a while will pretty much eat anything lol.


H. hassi
__________________
dingusplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dingusplease's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,364
I finished reinforcing the stand today, since it needed some crossbars on the ends. I'm sanding and painting it this weekend, and I'll post some pics of the tank .
__________________
dingusplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dingusplease's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,364
Sorry haven't posted any pics; photobucket account is locked out for some reason. I'll post them when that's worked out.

Otherwise, things are moving forward lol. I ordered a 3200gph powerhead from ebay - we'll see how it works.
ALSO, this is officially also a breeding project. I've been researching anguilliform (eel) reproduction, and it seems eel breeding is a pretty hot topic. From talking with the aquarium, a garden eel breeding project would be very well received. I found out some very interesting info about the topic - a professional aquarist I spoke with said that hobbyists apparently make more breakthroughs in animal husbandry than public organizations. Now that I think about it, it makes sense. And eel breeding is already coming along, so I shouldn't have any shortage of resources. I'll be talking with these guys some more, but what the more pressing thing for me is getting your guys' opinion on all of this. Anyone have any ideas about a breeding project?
If anyone has experience with DIY spawn collectors, I'm looking for info on that.
And thanks to seaweed for linking me to a great live food source. It's coming along guys
__________________
dingusplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingusplease View Post
Sorry haven't posted any pics; photobucket account is locked out for some reason. I'll post them when that's worked out.

Otherwise, things are moving forward lol. I ordered a 3200gph powerhead from ebay - we'll see how it works.
ALSO, this is officially also a breeding project. I've been researching anguilliform (eel) reproduction, and it seems eel breeding is a pretty hot topic. From talking with the aquarium, a garden eel breeding project would be very well received. I found out some very interesting info about the topic - a professional aquarist I spoke with said that hobbyists apparently make more breakthroughs in animal husbandry than public organizations. Now that I think about it, it makes sense. And eel breeding is already coming along, so I shouldn't have any shortage of resources. I'll be talking with these guys some more, but what the more pressing thing for me is getting your guys' opinion on all of this. Anyone have any ideas about a breeding project?
If anyone has experience with DIY spawn collectors, I'm looking for info on that.
And thanks to seaweed for linking me to a great live food source. It's coming along guys
Excited to see this coming along. Always happy to see a conservation minded aquarist!
__________________

__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eel, eels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garden eels? Swimzebras Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 38 03-15-2011 04:40 PM
Pls HELP, Garden Eels and Smith's Fang Blenny torontofc Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 2 01-09-2010 04:57 PM
Garden eels pat8you Saltwater Reef Aquaria 12 01-09-2010 01:52 AM
Are Fire Eels And Tire Track Eels Compatible? Aquarium Freak Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 02-18-2007 07:54 AM
Garden eels? snapcrackler Saltwater Reef Aquaria 0 10-09-2003 02:16 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.