God D@$! Algae!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drewposi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 55 Gal has been up and running for about three years now, I recently changed my rocks around and added some new sand, that was about 2 months ago and ever since i cant keep the reddish brown algae off my sand and a few select pieces of rock. My yellow tang eats some of it as well at my coral beauty but i need some advice. I've been doing 10 to 14 gallon changes every two to three weeks. my light cycle hasnt changed I have them on only about 6 hours a day. there is one more thing im concerned about and that is i change my filter material in the sump once every other pwc but the spongy like material that sits at the bottom hasnt been changed like probably 10 months or so should i be replacing with me other filter materials? im just trying to narrow down why the algae isnt going away. my waters been testing vigorously and everything checks out. it's so strange. i dont have any corals could i use some kind of algae control drops or something help!

Are we talking about cyano or and algae? I would definitely clean the sponge filter as a start.
Can you get a pic?
I wouldn't suggest using any chemicals to try to remove cyano, since they tend to be good at killng off the good bacteria as well as the cyano.

I pic would help ID the substance. I agree about cleaning the sponge. Also, test for PO4 and NO3 in both your tank and source water.

Hmmm... I'm going to go with cleaning out that sponge. If you can get us some pics of your set up we could help out more. Personally I don't use ANY sponges in my system because they just love holding nasty stuff in them.

How many fish do you have in there and how often and how much do you feed?

It sounds like when you moved the rocks around and added the sand (was it dry sand or live sand?) you stirred up some nasty stuff that has your bacteria working overtime.

well I feel really stupid its been like 5 days now ok so I got a new sponge i did a 14 gallon change moved one my power heads to the bottom of my tank purchased this weird hybrid tang that two lfs didnt know what it was kinda looks like a scopas but different ill get a pic up here soon but anyways everythings beautiful. im planning on doing about a 8 gallon change this week sometime just to really help kick it. also i changed my light cycle to 6 and 4 hours. this tang is kinda cool its grey and black with a bright florescent blue stripe on its tail and pec fin. but so far so good. the tang has also eaten alot of the algae that was on the big rock so as of now my coral beauty yellow tang and this new one are eating alot of the algae probably becasue i havent fed them in like three days.

Back
Top Bottom