Good price?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

player676

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Someone I know is offering their 75g All Glass Aquarium with stand for 98 bucks. Seems like a great deal, but maybe I'm wrong. Can anyone offer thoughts on whether it is in fact a good deal.

Thanks

I agree, that is a great price, make sure you find out what meds were used in the tank.

Usual price for 75 gal tank alone is $100-$150 at most lfs and the stand usually runs $100+ also. Depending on how old it is and the quality of the stand I'd say it's a great deal.

I assume you plan to use this for SW so I'd find out if any medications have been added to the tank. Does it have SW fish/inverts in the tank now? Any other equipment included? Is the tank drilled or can it be?

It was previously used for saltwater. No idea if it's drilled. Only tank and stand are included.

Thanks for the quick replies.

By the way, My current freshwater tank that I'll be making saltwater was treated for ich just once. Does that make it unusable for saltwater. I think I used RidIch and I just used it for one week. Since then, no meds have been added to tank in about 3 years.

Kordon Rid Ich is generally safe for FW & SW but some inverters are intolerant to direct application. Since it's been 3 years since you last medicated you probably would be ok. As a precaution you might want to consider stripping the silicon and redoing it.

Sounds like a good deal if the tank and stand are both in good shape.

I don't know what your area is like, but you might want to check your classifieds to see if there's any better deals on used tanks/stands.
Down here in S. Florida 8 out of 10 households have an aquarium, and consequently there are always cheap aquariums for sale in the paper.
It's not unusual to see a 75-150gal tank w/ stand, hood, lights, filters, etc. for $300-500.

Back
Top Bottom