Good starter coral that sways???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I'm about ready to try a starter coral - something easy that will do well under 4X65 PC (75 gal). As for the swaying part of the request, that's for my wife. She has been surprisingly cooperative in my new hobby; especially given the ever growing expense. While at the lfs a couple of weeks ago, we looked at some of the display reefs and she asked if I would put something in my tank that "sways" with the water movement.

So as a small way of thanking her for her support, I would like my first coral to be one that sways. :bulb: Any suggestions are appreciated. TIA

Start with the star polyps.. even in a newish tank you couldn't kill them if you tried.

anthelia is a nice one too. They have a taller stalk than star polyps. My pulsing xenia does not sway but I have a non-pulsing xenia that does.

I'm new to corals so correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be a bit premature to add most of the corals mentioned above to a new tank?

I have been looking at each suggested so far and they are mostly listed as easy care with medium light. My water parameters fall in line as well, so I think I should be OK. Bare in mind that this will only be one addition not multiple. I don't want to push my luck.

Take a look at Sinularia sp. finger leathers. They get very pretty polyps, sway in the currents and are very hardy and easy to propagate. A sinularia was one of my first corals, the one in my tank is now about the size of a volleyball. If you want something a little more challenging, take a look at some Euphyllia sp. they are an lps that can do well under your lighting and produce tentacles that would sway in a mild current. Happy hunting.

My memory sucks, how long ago did you finish cycling again?

Good luck getting just one :lol: It's next to impossible to not go straight back to the LFS after you put the first one in.

IMO Xenia are great, look nice, reproduce fairly quickly (great for perfecting your fragging technique!)and are ime really hardy. Mine took a pretty good battering when attaching him to rocks, floated him around the tank all night, got stuck in a pre-filter and was kept in 7.4 pH water for a week! Looks really good so i would suggest them! :)

Atari said:
Oh wow.. time flies huh.

You aren't kidding! I work shift work rotating from days to nights. I'll work for 4 days, have 4 off, then work 4 nights, then 4 off....and so on. Sometimes I completely loose track of what day of the week it is. I often have my days off during the week so weekends become meaningless as a reference point. The months just zoom by.

Back
Top Bottom