Green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjs1949

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gal tank with fish and coral. I seem have green tinged water. When I do a water change it gets better but seems to come back.

Any suggestions?
S. Schwartz

It's an algae bloom which is usually caused by excessive nutrients in the tank with possibly bulbs in the wrong color light spectrum, but the lighting alone won't cause the problem.

Are you running a protein Skimmer? IMHO, I wouldn't run a reef without one (I'm too lazy to do water changes as frequently as would be required without). As CC Capt, reduce your nutrients and you should be OK. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions

I have two t5 bulbs. One white and one blue.

Which nutrients do I reduce ?

High nutrient levels can lead to high nitrate levels, but that's not always the case. The nutrients can be and usually are in the form of dissolved organics and unless you have access to a very expensive TOC Analyzer you really have no idea how much dissolved organics are actually in the water. The best way to keep those nutrients under control are to run a good protein skimmer and the regular use of a high quality carbon.
Do you have a skimmer or use carbon?

Back
Top Bottom