Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2005, 07:41 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
ON a side note I will never agian listen to anyone that says damsels are peaceful fish!!!
Who in the world ever told you that? They can be little monsters! Very cute, but often mean. I don't know if you are a diver but I'm been challenged 100's of times by damsel fish while swimming over their turf in the shallows. I've even had one ping off of my mask once!

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
ON a side note I will never agian listen to anyone that says damsels are peaceful fish!!!
Don't cycle with them, only put one in and don't add it first. This is mainly where the trouble comes in. Once the tank becomes "their" territory, life can be a nightmare.
Maybe some day LFS's will stop advising people to cycle with these fish. grrrr

Old 03-24-2005, 12:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tinman
hahaha...I never done anything more than snorkling but in the little secluded bays of kaui in hawaii that can be an adventure. The LFS I used (stress the past tense..lol) he told me that the 2 damsels would be fine and shouldn't be aggressive at all...WHAT A JOKE. I am storngly considering getting a little bigger tank ( a 20 long or even 40 breeder, I like the shallow wide tanks) just so when I have to take the rock out to get the damsels I can do 2 things A. use a deep sand bed and B. get the devil fish out... If I use some of the CC mixed with the sand in the new tank and add more LR and all the water from the existing tank do you think it would have to be fully cycled?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
If you getting a larger tank and don't want to return the damsel, maybe you can leave them in the 10 gallon, get your bigger tank set up, cycles (fishless), stock and add the damsels last. May be a different story then.
I added my damsels as the very last fish and he is the perfect gentleman. (he better be, took me a year to find him and I'll bet I'm the only one here with a $35 damsel ). See gallery if interested.

Quote:
If I use some of the CC mixed with the sand in the new tank and add more LR and all the water from the existing tank do you think it would have to be fully cycled?
You would still have to cycle, but if you get cured live rock the cycling period would be short.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tito2491 Send a message via MSN to Tito2491
can u acclimate an algae eater to sw? they do such good jobs in fw
Old 03-24-2005, 07:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't think the algae eater would make it....Mollies are unique in that they can live in either or even brackish waters just fine.

As as far as the damsels, the only reason they were ever gonna stay longer than to cycle was cause my 4 year old likes the blue one, but after explaining were the little mollies tail fins went he is ready for them to go too..lol....I am going to use the 10 gal for a sump refuge for the 20 long I am going to pick up in the morning. 20 bucks for a 20 long is good right..lol
Old 03-25-2005, 02:47 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I have kept mollies in salt water before. They love it. I didn't even acclimate them for 8 hours. Maybe 2 hours. They take very well to it.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:17 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
I have a Blue Damsel and a Yellow Damsel in my 32 Hex and recently added a Flasher wrasse to the tank... They had their scuffles at first but worked things out just fine. Damsels are defensive but aren't THAT bad.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:17 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
Blue leg hermits do a great job getting algea off the rocks and turbo snails get it off the glass. My hermits cleaned up my rock really nice.

Only damsels that are peaceful are some clowns. They are technically damsels IIRC.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think I have a deeper issue than the algae. I think it is due to the high tank temp. My tanks temp will not get below 82, with no heater it stays above 82, I cut back on the lights but still 82. With the lights on for 4 hours the temp gets to 84. Any way the solution was a bigger tank. I didn't have much space so I found a 20 long ( 30 bucks ), only 12 high so PC lights should be very efficient, I hate getting my arms wet when there is a problem in my 29 so not very fond of anything over 16..lol. I got into a creative mood and built a nice tank stand that will hold my 20 long on top and my 10gallon sump on the bottom. I even added a shelf thats is removable that my refuge light will mount too. I also put baffles in my 10 gallon and built a really nice surface skimming overflow that looks cool. No pics yet but I have a drawing of the stand and the link to the overflow if you wanna see. I still have to fine tune the system after everything cures and dries. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

http://www.guarriello.net/overflow.htm
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40...kstandcopy.jpg

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com