First, the vitals:
75 gallon tank, drilled with a 20 gallon sump (had
cheato in the sump)
Approx. 80-90 lbs live rock and about a 3 inch sandbed.
water currently reading 1 TDS
Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate all read at zero.
All other parameters meet the specs for natural seawater (dkh
, pH, etc.)
Protein skimmer rated for a 150 gallon tank.
Lights are 4x54 T5HO
Clean up crew consists of various hermits and snails (love reefcleaners.org!). I got 3 turbo snails that seem uninterested in moving but won't let me move them.
My tank had a bad outbreak of hair algae about 3 months ago. I knew my bulbs were old so I replaced them. The algae seemed better after a few weeks then all of a sudden something happened to the tank. My corals started dying and all my fish died except my sixline wrasse, royal gramma, and yellow watchman goby. I put some carbon in the sump to I have a 2 year old who learned how to open the tank doors and get in the sump, so it's possible he did something to it, but unlikely. It seems like the tank crashed to me.
Anyhow, I got discouraged with it and haven't done much except water changes (10 gallons weekly) and occasionally plucking the hair algae off the rocks.
I've done all the textbook things: water changes, reduced lighting, increased skimming, reduced (nearly eliminated) feeding and the hair algae will not go away. Changing the circulation up does nothing. It's growing all over my powerheads as well.....
I'm considering taking the majority of the rock out of the tank and "baking" it for a month or so in a 32 gallon Brute. Would this kill off the algae and basically let me restart my tank, or would this be a terrible idea?