HELP Green carpet anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rcgjr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I am in need of some help I bought two days ago a green carpet anemone from petco. I currently have a 55Gal display with a 20 gal sump. With 1 mandarin goby, 1 bicolor angel, and 1 false percula. Lighting is a 250wat MH. I was directed by an employee to get the carpet for compatibility with my clown. So stupid me did. It's such a beautiful creature and I'd like to do anything I can for it. Or to protect my livestock if that is my only option. I also have 2in of live sand and approx 60lb of live rock. I currently checked my water parameters for
78 degrees
ph= 8.2
SG= 1.0025
Calcium=550ppm .... That's all I can check as I do this about one a week and major checks I do once a month but tAke to lfs as I do not have all test. Now from all the research I've done it looks like the carpet is on his way out :/
Ill post pics as its better than me describing.

Thanks in advanced!

Well first off the carpet was a poor choice as your mandarin would eventually end up as a snack. Second, you don't have enough light for it. How long has the tank been running?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395202512.110511.jpg
Day 1 I read up more and researched they move alot and actually prefer sand over rocky substrate. Before I could move him he moved on his own and wedged himself in between two live rocks and was upside down foot up. I felt he was distressed so I removed him and placed him in the sand bed.

The nem will move to wherever it feels happy. Don't try and move it, that stresses them more.

The tank has been running for a 6 month period. After being transferred from a prior location which everything was running for 10 years all of which was moved to the new location

day 1 night
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395202865.974857.jpg
day 2 night ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395202817.172721.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395202898.428025.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395202774.545332.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395202774.545332.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 82
Any and all advice is appreciated! I am fairly new to this hobby and seek information all over. I ve learned alot has to do with trial and error and not all cases are the same.

Did you get the tank used basically? It looks nice but yeah the nem looks quite unhappy. Is it just one 250w pendant?

Yes bought used. ... And the lfs told me that my 1 250watt metal halide bulb was sufficient lighting :/ it's a brand new bulb not even a month old 14k

It may be ok directly under it but the corners of that tank probably don't get much light. Could you post a full tank shot?

Ill pick up another light if that might help I just don't want to over light my tank and create an algae bloom

Light or lack of is not the reason this anemone isn't happy. It's too early to see the effects of lack of light. What test kit are you using to get your 550ppm calcium result? What are you dosing or adding to the tank?
If your calcium is truly 550ppm, I bet your alk (much more important) is very low, and this very well could be your problem.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395240406.053297.jpg
These are the two kits I have my calcium is off the charts they have but I linearly interpreted it from the chart they provided. I figured more calcium was ok, as my lfs said the levels would drop in there own. I do not dose anything. Time in again I use kent marine tech part a and part b for ph changes. I typically try to raise ph. I can give exact reads when I get home from work. I usually do a 10% water change with Kent's reef salt once a week and use RO/DI water.

That calcium kit is off. API makes a crappy calcium kit. Do another water change and don't add any buffers. Increase surface agitation to increase PH.

I did a 10% last night before bed, i ll do another when i get home. I really appreciate the help, it means a bunch! Any test kits that you can recommend ?

Same here cal&alk was off the chart for me to using API.Went to lfs they check it was normal API had me freaking out bought redsea that is what they use

Back
Top Bottom