Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2006, 12:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

No doubt you need to be running the skimmer continuously!

Old 03-10-2006, 02:36 AM   #12

Any idea as to what kind of water circulation you have in that tank?

Also, I would leave the skimmer on continuously..
Old 03-10-2006, 03:22 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Another good question.

I have 2 SEIO Super Flow power heads that have a 620 gal/hr flow rate. One is set on the the back of the right side of the tank and pushes water along the back side of the tank and the other is set on the front of the left side of the tank and pushes water along the front of the tank. I also have an Eheim rotating ball powerhead that I will use when I am skimming and when I treat for flatworms.

I am considering getting this Eheim canister filter (model unknown) that my friend has which pushes water into the tank and gradually decreases the force, sort of simulating a wave. I am waiting to see if there is any problems with floods.

Point taken on the skimmer, I shall hook it up tonight when I get home. I am leaving from work in 5 minutes.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:34 PM   #14

Just an update:

The skimmer is on and constantly running, I am tapering my light both in the morning and at night in prep for no lights. still no phosphate test but my friend has something to help remove phosphates that I will also start adding.

Thanks for all your wonderful help!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep us updated.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:53 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why add a phosphate remover to the tank if you dont know if you have it??
You need to get it tested so you know what is going on in the tank.
how about a pic...
How old are the bulbs on the tank and what type of lighting do you have..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:34 PM   #17

I am going to add the phosphate remover because it can't do anything but possibly help. There would be no harm to the tank even if I don't have phosphates in there. Also, because no one I know has the test, only the remover.

My lighting system is in the very first post and was brand new as of December 2005.

As for a photo, I do not have a digital camera so I pulled some off the internet. I am computer illiterate and hope that they appear. Mine looks more like the first photo, kind of a bluish/brownish/greenish color.

The RO/DI is hooked up and after a few kinks is running now and I did some more pruning yesterday. Whats left needs to be scrubbed off the rocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dictyota_algae_2_124.jpg (5.9 KB, 819 views)
File Type: jpg dictyota_algae_1_207.jpg (5.4 KB, 817 views)
Old 03-31-2006, 03:00 AM   #18

I just wanted to update everyone. I broke down and bought a phosphate test. I did it twice just to make sure and it said that I have no phosphate in my tank. I have been doing more water changes and constantly running my skimmer. I have also removed and rescrubbed all my LR.

I went to my favorite LFS, Saltwater City in Bellevue Washington, and a girl there knew about this algae and believed that my last algae bloom was because when I took out the majority of my sand, I stirred up a lot of the crap that was in there. She recommended that I take out all of my sand and if I must have some in there, then no more than 1/4 inch.

I will treat my tank next Mon. or Tue. for flatworm and then black out the tank for a week. Fingers crossed that it all goes well!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 08:17 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Phosphate and cleaners- that is your anseer.

YOu need to check your PO4 level and then get some PO4remover and run it in your filter or get a phosphate reactor and run that on your tank. After you do that you need 2-3 Turbo snails. Between the two your tank shoudl clear up in abotu 3 weeks.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:37 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

How much gunk is your skimmer pulling out? A better quality skimmer would do a better job, IMO.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com