help please!! son dumped bottle of ph up in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emelinda76

Aquarium Advice Freak
My son just emptied 14 oz of PH UP into my 220 gallon. I just did PWC prior to he doing this.... the PH read 8.2 ....

Is it possible the liquid will increase the PH to more than 8.6?

should I do another water change? should I add buffer to lower PH if it reads high?

is this going to cause a big problems?

test results prior
PH 8.2
KH was 9
MAG 1250
CA 480
nitrates 0
nitrite o
amm 0
phos 5
temp 77

That is about 40 drops/gal...the recomended on the web site is 4 drops/gal. I think that gets you a 0.2 pH change......so you are looking at a pH change of 2. I would do I BIG waterchange NOW.

Watch it. the perfect thing to add would be carbonic acid. this would envolve bubbling CO2 through your water. I am assuming you don't have access to a CO2 container. you can blow in a tube submerged in your tank for the next several hours. Make you son do it....I would try to do a SIGNIFICANT water change

API Makes PH down too.

This can affect fish.. By burning their skin, enable breathing for them right? .. What can it do to snails n or corals?

So far everything looks ok... Waiting to make enough RO/ di water ... The API test reads a dark hot pink color... Which is not on the chart .

Is this because it's higher? Than 9.0?
How much water change should I do?

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

yeah definately do as large as your capable of doing, and as soon as it's done start mixing to be prepared for a second large change just in case.

Also, generally it's not advised to use those pH adjustment chemicals, so probably not something that's good to have laying around if you have small children.

Not knowing how the chemical works, won't the pH top out at a certain pH no matter how much more you add?

Not knowing how the chemical works, won't the pH top out at a certain pH no matter how much more you add?

this thought came to mind...

by I read on the internet that PH levels can reach up to 12??? not sure how try this is. but for my sake. hopefully this isnt true...

yeah definately do as large as your capable of doing, and as soon as it's done start mixing to be prepared for a second large change just in case.

Also, generally it's not advised to use those pH adjustment chemicals, so probably not something that's good to have laying around if you have small children.

Thanks for your reply....

My son is 2 - did nt know he can open the door that leads to the sump which is where I keep all the fish things. :(

this thought came to mind...

by I read on the internet that PH levels can reach up to 12??? not sure how try this is. but for my sake. hopefully this isnt true...

Hope so too. As everyone has suggested then I guess some water changes are in order... :(

Do you by chance have a QT tank? If so you may want to try and move some fish over to it while sorting out the DT just in case. Other than that I can't help, sorry.

Your ph can go up to 14. This is extremely toxic. A level of 14 is like what drain uncloggers are. Your ph isn't most likely that high but do a massive water change

RYANLAWRENCE said:
Your ph can go up to 14. This is extremely toxic. A level of 14 is like what drain uncloggers are. Your ph isn't most likely that high but do a massive water change

So far so good... On the API n reef test kits for ph it's at 8.6 w/ 30 % water change... Fish/corals doing ok/ normal so far .. Keeping positive. Thanks all

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

bavass said:
I hope it all came out ok

Yes thank you..fortunately as of yesterday the ph was between 8.2 n 8.4..sooo happy. This nightmare turned out well ;()

Glad to hear it came out well. In most unfavorable circumstances or emergency situations the first thing to do id PWC`s. This should lessen the effect of what happens to the tank. Hope all continues to do well.

change water

WOW!
I know its too late for me to say this do a 90% change then test! test! test!
so sorry to here this, keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom