Help with algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZonPlyr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have searched and searched and really haven't found my answer yet. I have a 55 gal FO tank. I have about 80lbs LR, eheim filter and a protein skimmer. I seem to have a carpet of purple/brown algae covering my LR and CC substrate. I have recently switched to RO and installed a new lighting system but the problem is not going away. My protein skimmer cup needs to be emptied every day, and I have to clean the purple/brown crap off the glass about once a week. I have been doing weekly water changes and that doesn't seem to be helping either. I would really like to add some corals and other inverts but don't want to do anything before I take care of this problem.
My fish load isn't terribly high, I have 1 blue tang, and 3 green chromis. Feed every other day.

AdvThanksAnce

Purchase some phosphate and silicate sponge and perhaps a DI to add to your RO. I had the same problem, the sea chem phosphate and silicate sponges work great.

Back
Top Bottom