Help with Hammer Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevedpepper

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey gang. I have had a beautiful large hammer coral for about 3 months. It has been incredible until about 2 weeks ago. It started losing it's hammers, they would shrivel up green and then drop off. Now, the coral is about 60% alive, 30% skeleton and 10% shriveled up. My tests are all good. Trates, trites 0; ph 8.2, temp 77, flow is medium, salinity 1.023, calcium 440. Alk and phosphates are spot on. My question is what is going on? How do I help it out? When do I remove it? Will it hurt other coral? It is positioned by itself with no other corals near by... Thanks!!

Have you recently changed your lighting? How is your temperature?

These are the only two things I can think of, but I hope everything goes well for your coral. :)

77 should be a fine temp. 1.023 is a little low IMO, but not nearly low enough to kill it. You didn't mention anything about your lighting. What do you have for a fixture. They need decent lighting and an inferior fixture could absolutely cause the problem.

Thanks, gang. My lighting is metal halides, 250w. Lighting is not an issue, and there was no build up on the little guy... Sometimes things just die, I suppose...

stevedpepper said:
Thanks, gang. My lighting is metal halides, 250w. Lighting is not an issue, and there was no build up on the little guy... Sometimes things just die, I suppose...

Yep. I just lost my frogspawn. My water and + light were fine. Oh the riddles

What they are referring to by light, I think, is the change of your bulbs. Bulbs tend to change their spectrum as they age (IIRC), and a new set of bulbs could make a huge difference in a coral's health, although for a short time. When you say medium flow, what do you mean? Is the coral out in the open recieving direct flow, or is it shielded by rock? Another thing could be irritation from inverts/parasites.

To much light can bother a hammer too. I usually move things around until they seem do good in a particular place sometimes just an inch or two can make a difference it seems. Is any fish bothering it like a clown fish? Do you have hermit crabs or peppermint shrimp?

My bulbs are less than 6 months old. No crabs or shrimp in tank. Clown fish and other fish leave it alone. The hammers gently sway, and are not being forced aggressively by the flow.... Lol, he is a goner, while all other corals are doing brilliantly...

Back
Top Bottom