Hermite Crabs and their shells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
if you do not feel this is the right place for this feel free to move it (just let me know where you put it :-? )

although my tank is a Nano, i do not feel the questions is Nano specific, but can go to anyone who might keep/know about hermit crabs.

i have 3 Clibanarius digueti and Clibanarius tricolor in my 10 gallon. they all came living in nice little gray, cone-shaped shells. they range in size from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch right now. now i anticipate they will need to upgrade there living space some time. so i purchased from the lfs an assortment of cone shaped marine snail shells that range in size, starting at about 1.5 inch long (is is the smallest they had in there bin that i could find) and i scattered them around the tank for the crabs to investigate. you can see some of these shells in the tank shot linked to in my signature

so my question is the size jump (3/4 inch to 1.5 inch) to big of a gap and if so does anyone have any ideas on a better place to get appropriate shells for my hermits?

thanks!

Hey JDogg,

I usually purchase specimens from saltwaterfish.com. I did purchase some hermits and some empty shells once.
These shells state they are 1/2 in, but they might work for you in the interim.
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...ategory=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

Not sure if this will work for you, but I figured I would offer my .02 cents.

Regards,

Mike
hummm interesting, they are defiantly nice looking and a different shape then the shells my crabs are using now (i believe they have Cerith Snail shells)

i am just concerned that if i do not provide them with a suitable alternative they might murder each other or my Nassarius for their shells :(

i did also notice that liveaquaria has 12 pks of medium and large shells for hermits for $5.99 and $7.99 respectively.

anyone have any other ideas or it that the way to go, i only have 7 hermits so i do not need a lot of shells.

thanks!

Hey JDogg, been a while.

I picked up a lot of shells on ebay for mine. I put an assortment of sizes in the tank but was amazed at the shells the crabs chose. They took shells that I thought were way too big. Then they still murder a snail from time to time for food or sport. It's entertaining to watch the goofy things try on every shell they come across for size. Not sure there is a way to stop it.

Mine blue legged hermits have only changed shells once in about 4 years. They stay pretty small. Dunno if mine are just messed up or what, but I assume you have some time before they will need to move into a bigger shell, and make sure you don't buy a shell that is too big. I got mine at Wal-mart and Jo-Ann Fabrics. :)

You can get shells at a craft store. Get shells with holes larger than the ones they are in.

i just watched as one of my blue-legged Hermite's robbed one of my red-legged hermit's of its shell :( luckily the red-legged was able to take the empty shell the blue-legged left :?

Back
Top Bottom