Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How can I get rid of red slime

How can I get rid of red slime. I use r/o water and parameters check fine.
Started running poly filter and has helped some but mostly with the green algae instead of the red. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I have 24 gallon reef with 72 watts of light that stays on about 12 hrs a day. The tank is 6-8 months old and I haven't changed anything. Do water change every two weeks of about 15 per cent.

billtw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
This is what I would do. I would siphon up as much as you can when you do PWC`s. I would do weekly PWC`s and then I would cut back on feedings and light time. We do have a great article about it in our SW articles section.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Get new bulbs, reduce light cycle and feedings, and read this:
Cyanobacteria, AKA Red Slime Algae
Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I feel your pain. I've been on vacation for the past 3 weeks and I know my tank is covered in it. You may want to look into building a refugium or buying a HOB one to help export the nutrients. My plan for once I get home is to finally finish my sump/refugium and I plan to use chemi-clean to give mt new refugium a head start.
"If your wife ever asks how much something was for your tank, just tell her you got it on sale and you had to have it! She'll understand"

Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
I wrote a good article about how to get rid of algae as well - my best suggestion ( along with whats posted) is to make sure your rocks are stacked correctly. I had a huge issue with cyano and green hair before I redid my rocks - I had them all stacked up against the back and it allowed a lot of deitrus to accumulate. Post a picture if you can You may need to re-aquascape.

Make sure you dont have any dead spots, vacuum out any dead spots, add power heads if needed.. do a relatively large PWC and then do about 10-20% weekly. It will really help
75 Gallon Saltwater Reef

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote

red slime, slime

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com