How do I increase the productivity of my refugia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eknuds

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two 30 gallon aquariums that I'm using for refugia. They both have a large amount of algae that should be a good environment for critters. However, the only things that are highly visible are a large number of the dark red/dark blue bristle worms. I'm hoping that as usual in reef systems there is more than the eye can readily see.
How do I get these systems to produce more 'pods?

First of all, they are nocturnal, try checking for them at night with a flashlight with a red filter over it. You can also bump up your poplulation with a pod culture from www.oceanpods.com.

To increase your podscritters population in the fuge, you can feed them some food. Small pieces of raw SW shrimp are good.

I have a huge pod population - they're easily seen on the glass, rocks, substrate, chaeto, etc. My green madarin and blenny love them. Since I removed the sponges between the fuge and the return pump in my fuge/sump, they're getting pumped to the main tank a lot more frequently. Sometimes I can find them in the main tank on the front glass, in areas of low current.

I had none until I bought a $5 pack of chaeto from an established system from eBay - look for ones claiming to have lots of pods - they seem to survive the trip just fine.

Thanks for the replies. A few weeks ago I decided to begin dropping some flake into these tanks as part of my feeding routine, and I'm starting to see many more pods around. The Mandarin in my main tank is probably one of the fattest fish I've ever seen :).

Back
Top Bottom