Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-06-2004, 09:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
Originally Posted by tmcpeek
Nitrate--- I did drill a hole in the return fitting inside the overflow, but it did not seem to do anything about siphon. Maybe I drilled in the wrong spot?
The hole doesnt go inside the overflow, it goes on the pump return into the tank. When the pump quits running the water thats is left in the tube running up from your sump to your tank quickly reverses direction and creates a siphon that in turn will drain the tank until the siphon is broke. The hole you drill will be on the return into the tank, and as FF stated it should be 1/16" diameter.

My first SW tank was a a great learning experience, I flooded my floor several times before I figured out where the water was coming from.

Nitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
For a drilled tank the hole is in the line going from your sump pump to the tank. I have the hole drilled in the 90 and I keep my nozzle about a 1/2 inch from the tank water level. When the power or pump is turned off I here air sucking thru the small drilled hole but as soon as the nozzle breaks the top of the water then all water stops, no more syphon/trickle! I have a mega-flow style so my nozzle piping comes over of the top of the box so it is easy to keep the nozzle near the top of the water.

Overstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 12:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks for all the help. I got it fixed. I drilled some holes and raise my return fittings with 90 degree elbows.
tmcpeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Other suggestions...

- you can add a check valve into the return line. This prevents water from flowing backwards into the sump at all. (These check valves have been know to fail....)

- The little hole in the return line, just below the water level can work but it has to be larger than you might think. Keep drilling a bigger and bigger hole....kill the power and watch what happens. At some point, the hole starts to allow so much air into the reverse-siphon that it stops.

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

flow, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com