Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2004, 01:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How do I keep my sump from overflowing during powerloss?

I have drilled the return fittings inside my overflows and it still siphons enough water to just overflow the sump. Any other ideas?

225 Gallon Tank with 2 built in corner overflows and a 29 gallon sump.

Old 08-06-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
The only thing I can think of is get a bigger sump, or an overflow of some sort into another container. Or can you keep the water level in the sump any lower?
I have the same setup with my 210, but my sump is a 55 gallon. When I shut down it only fills about halfway. How do you shut down for maintainance?

Old 08-06-2004, 01:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, I was thinking of adding another sump to hold some of the additional water. For maintainence, I have a ball valve on my returns so I can stop the siphon. Just can't do it if the power goes out and nobody is home. I cannot lower the water level in my sump anymore.

As I was just looking at it I wondered if I turned the elbows inside the overflow so they are facing up teh water could not flow up hill. My only concern is that the return hose may kink. I will try it since the fittings are only a buck or 2. Thanks Kurt.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcpeek
Yeah, I was thinking of adding another sump to hold some of the additional water. For maintainence, I have a ball valve on my returns so I can stop the siphon. Just can't do it if the power goes out and nobody is home. I cannot lower the water level in my sump anymore.

As I was just looking at it I wondered if I turned the elbows inside the overflow so they are facing up teh water could not flow up hill. My only concern is that the return hose may kink. I will try it since the fittings are only a buck or 2. Thanks Kurt.
Not sure about that. Maybe you could use a big tupperware container and place you sump inside of it. This way if it overflows you have something to catch the water.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You could also lower the water volume in your sump at operational level. Short of that, you will probably have an issue.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Raise the level of the in-tank part of your overflow. This will lower the sump water level and also raise the level the overflow pulls from so it can't drain as much from the display if you lose power.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

How far down does your tank drain? It should not be very much. If alot then maybe raise the return nozzles up until they are just under the surface of the tank water (maybe the return lines from your sump aren't breaking suction until the nozzles come out of water.......)
Old 08-06-2004, 07:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
drill a small hole directly beneath the water line on your outlet. This will break the siphon so that you wont backfill your sump.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

BearFan_ I unfortunately cannot lower the level any further. If I do there is hardly any water in the sump and I get air bubbles.

Indy-- How do I raise the water in the overflow part? I am guessing by throttling down the return pump so it does not pump as much water back in the tank.

Overstocker--- The return is about 3" lower than the bottom of the overflow slots. Are you saying I should put a 90 on them or something to raise them up higher?

Nitrate--- I did drill a hole in the return fitting inside the overflow, but it did not seem to do anything about siphon. Maybe I drilled in the wrong spot?

I am heading to the hardware store to buy some fittings to play around with. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:02 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Is this a hang on overflow? If so then they usually have slots where you can rase the intank portion of the overflow. Rasing that up will increase the water level i nthe tank. If its a tank with an internal overflow then the only way to rase the water level would be to block off the bottom of the overflow area.

On the returns that are 3" below the water level. When you power your sump off those returns become syphons back into the sump. They will continue to syphon until air can be introduced into the plumbing. By drilling small 1/16th" holes just below the water line on your return you will create a syphon break. This wont break the syhpon on your overflow! This will only stop the water from returning into your sump via your return lines. THe small holes just below the water line on the return will not affect the returns performance at all.

What I do is to find my maximum safe operating level of the sump. I fill the tank up till it just starts to flow into the sump. Then I start filling the sump till its about 2" from the top of the sump. Then I power on my pump. The water level will drop some as the water fills the pipes. Soon the water will start comming back the return lines and then mark the level of the water in your sump as the MAX RUNNING WATER LEVEL. And then slowly take water out of the sump till your pump starts taking on air. Mark that MIN RUNNING WATER LEVEL. THen keep the water level in the sump between those lines and you will be fine during a power outage. If you fill your sump full and you power on the sump and it runs the water level down till the pump starts sucking air and you have to add more water to the sump then your sumps to small.

What size tank do you have and what size sump are you running?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com