How do you "invite" a clown to his Anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
My "tank raised" (I think that was my problem) won't even go near the white Sebea. Can I do anything besides wait, hope, and pray he finds his way in there? If not Thats cool, I'll try a "natural" clown later down the road and see what happens.

As far as I know, and I'm not an anemone expert, you have to wait for the clown to make up his mind. I don't know of any way to entice the clown into the anemone.

first of all what kind of clown is it?
ive heard of people putting those little clownfish algea clips next to their anenome and their clown hosting it but....seems a little.... i guess u could say maybe that person had luck..
And third of all im sure youve hard this ,annny times but its up to the clown and nature it could be 2 months to two years, its up to the clown

Good luck with your clown hosting..i remember when my tomatos wouldnt host my sebae i wanted to just grab them and shove them in the but then i thought better of it

good luck!

Mr. Marine

That chart looks great but i didnt see a true percula(thats what he says he has in another thread) is that an "False Clown Anemonefish (Amphiprion ocellaris)"

I have 2 percs...and both are tank raised....neither has even took a second look at my bubble tip for the month that they have been in the tank. Oh well, I still love 'em. They are like little puppies, happy to see someone every single time..(as long as you are going to feed them)...LOL

From everything that I have read about these critters, tank raised clowns pretty much don't have a clue to what an anenome even is. Chances are not good they will go to the anenome. But there is always the chance that your will have it's instincts "pop" in and make a liar out of all those articles. Good luck.

Mike

Stinkin Clownfish anyway...

....I had no luck with four seperate Percs. Unfortunately...not having luck meant they didn't much care for any relationship at all with an anenome OR life...they just didn't seem to like living in my tanks.

I've had one maroon Clown now for three weeks in one tank, purchased with a BT and another maroon Clown in another tank for a week now also a package deal with another BT.

The lfs said they're a little hardier. The one down side is that they don't take well with other clowns. The seem to waddle a little more which is cute...but they both just absolutely loooooooove their anenomes. The first one....hmmm...just now came to me that we haven't named any of our critters.....anyway...the first one beats his BT to a pulp and every few days, either to....um....poop...or just to get some personal time, the BT is all balled up. The stinkin clown STILL rubs up against it hoping to get SOMEthing out of it. Desperate little thing.

I'm hooked though. That dark red contrasts really well with the white stripes, and the second one has a yellow stripe inside the white...that one just looks awesome. I took a bunch of pics today but haven't gotten them resized to fit into my gallery.

Can you believe these tanks have led me to buying a 5MP digital camera?...well...I guess you probably can..... :D

maybe if you gave him a magizine to read he would "go" in the anenome.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!........(cough)......nevermind

Thanks guys.. We'll see what happens. I'll wait a few weeks and see, then if he doesn't go to his home, it's just another excuse to buy another Clown :)

We got 2 false percs for our toadstool, moved the toadstool down to where the clowns spent alot of time and that evening they started to host it! Just a thought :wink:

Even if you get a sebae clown it dosen't mean it will host. It could also be harrased by your current clown. Not a good idea in my opinion, and until the anemone regains all its color I wouldn't even worry about something hosting it. Try to recover the anemone first.

My two Ocellaris clowns haven't gone near my Rose Bulb, I think I remember reading something that an anemone releases chemicals in the water that will attract the clowns. If they are tank raised they really don't know the chemical.

When my new tank is setup I am going to get a tomato clown for the rose bulb.

I don't think that is true, and there isn't any proof to back it up. TR clowns will host, it dosen't matter. They use anemones as a refuge from predators. No predators in a tank so why should they bother? Wild clowns just may generally be more skittish, so they may host more readily.

Sneaker said:
If they are tank raised they really don't know the chemical.
Agreed with six-line. TR raised is actually still WC while quite small or just after hatching. They are still wild born not to be confused with TB (tank bred).

In either case TR or TB, I do not think the instincts are any less potent.

Cheers
Steve

ok this is the 3rd time im writing this stupid back button I was saying I have a true purcula and polyops with long stalks and a couple weeks ago I noticed my clown rubb againts them. Then all of a sudden he swam through them it was soo cool!! now he always swims in them and looks like hes stuck because he sticks out alot only thing is that he doesnt sleep in it. but he is hosting

try a laser pointer and play with the clown with it and and keep moving it to the anenome just give it time they might go in even if you get wild clowns they still might not go in I dont think its worth buying a wild clown just for the anenome its not worth it

Well my 2 false percs. look like they might be taking up with my haitian. Today it looks like they are guarding it and chasing off any "intruders" :mrgreen:

According to 'Finding Nemo" probably an anemone with view will help. Its all about location, location, location. :wink:

I read that somewhere, internet is not always right, this I realize...

I think it's all about location and view.

Back
Top Bottom