You fish lovers deserve a medal - (newbie) and Hi\help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Went to Wharf aquatics yesterday and purchased a yellow lonfin pleco and a delta betta, i drip acclimated the fish for about 1 hour, adding the pleco first for territorial reasons.
As you can imagine i was very apprehensive but most people say that if you are going to do a community betta tank then the safest bets are neons, pleco and otos or corys.
The betta has only shown a mild curiosity in the neons and the pleco. The neons grouped together for the first 3 hours but since then they have split up again now realizing that at the moment he is no threat. The bettas personality seems ok and he has not chased any of the fish at all but does approach them gently. I know that things could change but so far so good.
The betta was the most expensive one they had, very bright vivid colours.

Hopefully i have tried to add pictures:-

Betta_Pleco_.jpg

Tank_.jpg

Thanks, done it. Goodbye photo bucket

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=318643&stc=1&d=1605457650[/IMG]

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=318644&stc=1&d=1605457650[/IMG]

Attachments

• Tank .jpg
    Tank .jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Betta Pleco .jpg
    Betta Pleco .jpg
    244 KB · Views: 24
Nice Betta.

So far so good. Keep an eye on things. I usually have good luck having them in a lower activity tank. Sometimes the Betta personality is fierce. But most the time they almost seem to enjoy some (not too many or acting too crazy) other non Betta fish around. Neons in a group are a pretty good choice because they can dart quickly and there are a bunch of them making it harder for the Betta to focus irritation on one /individual fish.

Hi Autumnsky and Aiken Drum,

Quick question regarding stocking issues please.

Tank is 123L maybe 100L if you take into account of soil, plants, wood and rocks etc and so far i have:-

1 male delta betta
I yellow blue eyed pleco
17 Neon tetras

Am i at full capacity or do i have room for corys and if so am i right in thinking that i will need 6? If i do not have capacity for 6 could i get away with 4 etc etc?

Tank is is slightly green\yellow (it's not algae lol) as i set to go deep green at night and the photo is the tank just preparing to go into its green phase.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=318659&stc=1&d=1605721563

Attachments

• Fish stocking .jpg
    Fish stocking .jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 22
Based on how people normally determine "normal" stocking, 1 inch of fish (fully grown) per gallon, you are about there.

Personally, i over filter, go heavily planted and push the stocking over what would be considered normally stocked into a heavy stocking. I do 50% weekly water changes and my nitrate stays really low. Everything is happy and healthy.

The corys will occupy the bottom of the tank where your existing fish arent, so thats a plus. If you keep on top of your water parameters with water changes i would say 6 or 8 smaller corys would be fine. Pygmy corys will be about the same size as your neons, that would look good. However, i would let your tank settle for a bit, see what your water change schedule is to keep parameters in check before adding anything new in. If your nitrate isnt getting out of control you can add some more fish in.

Your tank doesnt look overcrowded to me.

Thanks Aiken,

Amazing regarding Pygmy Cory's i didn't even though know that they existed and yes i will wait a couple of weeks and perform water tests etc checking the water parameters before purchasing making sure that my tank is stable.

I think that i may have bought just a few too many Neons.
At the moment i am doing 25% water change every 2\3 days which is the same i suppose as 50% once a week. I am trying to be extra careful as i do not want my tank to crash.

Bought some cyclops as well this week as a little treat.

Personally from your stocking, the fish i wouldnt have done is the pleco. 15 to 20 neons will look cool, i would have gone for 8 to 10 corys and your betta is a cool centre piece. The pleco will get to maybe 5 inches? Might look a bit out of place amongst the smaller fish. But thats just what i would do and is irrelevant.

Wont be long before you are upgrading to a larger tank or getting another. Ha ha.

hahahaha no i can't I've spent way too much money already.
I am starting to relax a little bit now and enjoy the tank..... i can imagine that you are right....maybe in a years time lol.

I wanted the pleco purely because i had that much algae and my tank looked such a mess whist fishless cycling that i was almost about to pack it all in as a bad job.

To anyone reading this thread and you are new and going through a fishless cycle and your tank is looking like a sewer pipe on steroids......relax lol my tank now is unbelievable crystal clear and completely algae free and yours will be too as i had murky water, brown and green everywhere algae everywhere.

That's i repeat all aquarium owners deserve a medal especially doing the fishless cycle of DOOM....oh the waiting and the mess is awful lol.

As a bonus i do have the white cliffs of Dover in my tank that the pleco likes to cling to.

My pleco sleeps in the Betta log and the Betta sits under the wood that i bought for the pleco....you cannot write this stuff.

PS i am now thinking Blue dream shrimp instead of cory's, a tasty snack for my Betta.

Just because i have a blue betta, blue snails, blue neons and a (cheat) blue eyed pleco.

:cool: Oh, and wanted to also add my agreement that the Dwarf Cories, they are very fun!

It seems to me the Bronze, Albino and Green Cories, Corydoras aeneus can get huge, they look like pot bellied fish pigs! :lol: Just got some additions to go with mine, from a friend, and they are portly! One got stuck in a log decor!

My little Pygmy Cories are tiny like 4 for each adult/ matured size Aeneus Cory.

Thanks i was thinking of just leaving things the way there are but i suppose i could do with a clean up crew for the tank bottom eventually..... and if they are so small then maybe 6 might be ok, thanks Autumnsky but like you said i am in no rush at the moment.

I think its better than 1" of fish per gallon or The Pets at Home fish points method.

I tend to find it allows quite a heavy stock of fish for the tank size but its the filter thats the limiting factor. Put a filter in that is rated for 2x the tank size and you it will allow quite a heavy stocking.

As for the compatability i think it is on the cautious side.

Back
Top Bottom