Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
EBR
Aquarium Advice Activist

how long to QT cleaners?

Hey Everyone --

I'm getting some new cleaners today (snails and hermits), and have the QT all set, ready to go -- but how long to keep them in there, and what signs of trouble do I look for? I normally QT fish for a couple of weeks, looking for ick, spots, clamped fins, and the like. But how do you tell if a snail has issues?

Also, I'd appreciate any tips on acclimating them to the tank, other than the usual routine for fish.

Thanks.
Matt

Old 01-31-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didnt QT any inverts as they do not host ick etc. Just be sure to do a good acclimation as they are sensitive.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do not see any need to QT inverts. In fact IMO it could cause more harm by futhter stressing them. I am not aware of any diseases they carry. Just make sure you do a long drip acclimation as they can be sensitive to sudden changes. When adding inverts I usually drip acclimate them over a 3-4 hour period, just watch the temp in you acclimation conatiner.

HTH,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
. When adding inverts I usually drip acclimate them over a 3-4 hour period, just watch the temp in you acclimation conatiner.
Do you put a heater in your acclimation bucket? I haven't done this yet and I was wondering about the temperature change over 3-4 hours. My water is 78, and the room the tank is in is no warmer than 74 this time of year (and that's probably optimistic). It seems that such a temp change is too much after the acclimation is over. Do you then refloat the critter in a bag to equalize temps?

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
EBR
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the sanity checks! Side-stepping QT certainly makes it easier -- with my new lights, the algea is getting a bit more aggressive, and so I'm glad I can put these little guys to work right away

As for acclimating, thanks for the tip re: their sensitivity. Midiman: Your point on the heater is well taken, and something I'll think about. Given my resources, I'll probably follow you suggestion to acclimate the chemistry first (since my "fish room" is quite cooler than the tank water), and then acclimate temperature.

Again -- many thanks to All!
Matt
Seaclone skimmer
Fluval 304 for carbon and LR rubble
couple of MaxiJet-900 PHs
Calcium and Corbonate supplements 2x/week

Occupants:
2 percula clowns | 1 kole tang
1 royal gramma | 1 lawnmower blenny
1 cleaner shrimp | 1 fire shrimp
2 emerald crabs | bunch of snails and hermits

The uninvited:
1 curlyQ anemone | 1 flower anemone
a boatload of fire worms and brittle/banded stars
... and now 100% mantis free!
EBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well water is coming from you tank which is warmer. I do not think 3-4 deg is that big a deal. If you have a small heater you can do that, but with the small water volume you do not want to rast them either. If it is really cold out I have actually placed a heating pad under the container I am acclimating in. Otherwise refloating them will work as well.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Well water is coming from you tank which is warmer
Yes but the water in the acclimation bucket will NEVER be as warm as the water in the tank. I suppose if I empty some of the water out of the acc bucket every so often, the incoming water will keep the temp up a bit.

Quote:
I'll probably follow you suggestion to acclimate the chemistry first (since my "fish room" is quite cooler than the tank water), and then acclimate temperature

Well, technically speaking I didn't actually suggest that. From what I've read, temp equalization is step one, then drip drip drip. It's the cooling during this latter phase that bothers me. I'm wondering if I have to rebag and refloat the critter AGAIN, after pH and SG equalization.

Any veterans out there want to lend a hand? I'm going to make this a separate thread in a minute.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:10 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

this is what I've done but note that I've never had any truely very sensative critters.

I bag float with the tank lights off. After the temp has equaled i will simply add a small amount of tank water to the critters bag, about 1 to 2 tablespoons perhaps, and leave for 15-20 minutes, then repeat over an hour or two depending on what i'm acclimating. I've never had any issues. What I've acclimated this way has been a yellow tang, some chromis, cleaner shrimp, starfish, Perc clowns, hermit crabs, urchin, puffer, mushrooms, etc...
Old 01-31-2005, 03:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
What I do is once the water is deep enough in the bucket, I stick a small heater in the bucket.
As for the qt of inverts..If they come from a system with fish, you bet I qt them.
I once had some live sand bring ich into my system.
IMO if there are potential fish hosts, there could be a parasite. Ich in the trophont stage can be attached to just about anything.
I am in the minority on this, but there is a basis for this argument.

Tags
clean, cleaner, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com