how long to QT cleaners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone --

I'm getting some new cleaners today (snails and hermits), and have the QT all set, ready to go -- but how long to keep them in there, and what signs of trouble do I look for? I normally QT fish for a couple of weeks, looking for ick, spots, clamped fins, and the like. But how do you tell if a snail has issues?

Also, I'd appreciate any tips on acclimating them to the tank, other than the usual routine for fish.

Thanks.
Matt

I didnt QT any inverts as they do not host ick etc. Just be sure to do a good acclimation as they are sensitive.

I do not see any need to QT inverts. In fact IMO it could cause more harm by futhter stressing them. I am not aware of any diseases they carry. Just make sure you do a long drip acclimation as they can be sensitive to sudden changes. When adding inverts I usually drip acclimate them over a 3-4 hour period, just watch the temp in you acclimation conatiner.

HTH,

. When adding inverts I usually drip acclimate them over a 3-4 hour period, just watch the temp in you acclimation conatiner.

:?: Do you put a heater in your acclimation bucket? I haven't done this yet and I was wondering about the temperature change over 3-4 hours. My water is 78, and the room the tank is in is no warmer than 74 this time of year (and that's probably optimistic). It seems that such a temp change is too much after the acclimation is over. :?: Do you then refloat the critter in a bag to equalize temps?

Thanks for the sanity checks! Side-stepping QT certainly makes it easier -- with my new lights, the algea is getting a bit more aggressive, and so I'm glad I can put these little guys to work right away :)

As for acclimating, thanks for the tip re: their sensitivity. Midiman: Your point on the heater is well taken, and something I'll think about. Given my resources, I'll probably follow you suggestion to acclimate the chemistry first (since my "fish room" is quite cooler than the tank water), and then acclimate temperature.

Again -- many thanks to All!
Matt

Well water is coming from you tank which is warmer. I do not think 3-4 deg is that big a deal. If you have a small heater you can do that, but with the small water volume you do not want to rast them either. If it is really cold out I have actually placed a heating pad under the container I am acclimating in. Otherwise refloating them will work as well.

Well water is coming from you tank which is warmer

Yes but the water in the acclimation bucket will NEVER be as warm as the water in the tank. I suppose if I empty some of the water out of the acc bucket every so often, the incoming water will keep the temp up a bit.

I'll probably follow you suggestion to acclimate the chemistry first (since my "fish room" is quite cooler than the tank water), and then acclimate temperature

Well, technically speaking I didn't actually suggest that. From what I've read, temp equalization is step one, then drip drip drip. It's the cooling during this latter phase that bothers me. I'm wondering if I have to rebag and refloat the critter AGAIN, after pH and SG equalization.

Any veterans out there want to lend a hand? I'm going to make this a separate thread in a minute.

this is what I've done but note that I've never had any truely very sensative critters.

I bag float with the tank lights off. After the temp has equaled i will simply add a small amount of tank water to the critters bag, about 1 to 2 tablespoons perhaps, and leave for 15-20 minutes, then repeat over an hour or two depending on what i'm acclimating. I've never had any issues. What I've acclimated this way has been a yellow tang, some chromis, cleaner shrimp, starfish, Perc clowns, hermit crabs, urchin, puffer, mushrooms, etc...

What I do is once the water is deep enough in the bucket, I stick a small heater in the bucket.
As for the qt of inverts..If they come from a system with fish, you bet I qt them.
I once had some live sand bring ich into my system.
IMO if there are potential fish hosts, there could be a parasite. Ich in the trophont stage can be attached to just about anything.
I am in the minority on this, but there is a basis for this argument.

Back
Top Bottom